Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Love & Logic

I have always been a fan of Cline and Fay's Love & Logic. Eli is also a fan and has read the book and frequently gives us parenting advice. However, in the heat of the disciplining moment I find it hard to keep my cool and say 'uh-oh" or "bummer" like I'm supposed to. Last night all the kids were out of control. None of them were listening to us and it was total chaos. I asked Emma to put her backpack and boots away and she screamed "NO!" at me and stomped downstairs. I calmly said "bummer" and picked up her boots and backpack and hid them in my closet.

Imagine her surprise when she went to get her backpack this morning and it was gone. She was actually very calm and so was I. It was so much better than the alternative. I am really trying to be calm with my kids but sometimes they push me to my limits. Today was much better. Emma put all her stuff away when she got home and tomorrow the backpack fairy will return her backpack to her hook.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

Love and Logic wins again. I love how Eli uses this for "parenting" advice as well. But you're right, kids respond so much better if you CONSISTENTLY remain calm. I find, if I start to yell to get results, then I always have to yell....and then wonder why.

jenny said...

Oh, how I wish I saw this yesterday. Our house was way BEYOND out of control and 4 people not listening.

I need to be better at calming down and stop the yelling--my terrible quality that I am so good at.

cjanerun