Saturday, December 16, 2006

1st Grade

I've always thought I have a special talent to put people at ease in conversation, to go with the flow, shape my opinions to others, etc. It makes for good chit-chat and generally I'm an agreeable person. But the other day it backfired in an unfortunate way. Emma has had a couple of rough kids in her class this year. One just happens to be the grandson of a woman in our ward. On Sunday she approached me and asked me if Emma had ever mentioned that her teacher is mean. Emma doesn't have any problem with her teacher and I don't either. She is one of the best in the school (in my opinion) and I wouldn't want Emma in any other first grade class. Since I knew this grandma doesn't particularly like this teacher I downplayed how much I liked her. She also talked to another mom in our ward and from both our conversations came up with a story that we were uncomfortable with this teacher's style. Nothing could be further from the truth. She told this to the principal in a meeting with Emma's teacher. When I got to school on Monday, Mrs. H was crying when she saw me and said she wished I would have told her that I was uncomfortable. I quickly realized that in my haste to put one person at ease I upset another person that means a lot to me. I've learned an important lesson that it's better to be 100% honest about how I feel about certain things, even if it causes a little discomfort.

On Thursday night Emma had her class play. I am so grateful that her teacher does this. It was so great for Emma to memorize lines and be in a little production. She was excited all December for this play. It turned out great.

After the play we went to our RS progressive Christmas Dinner. Lucy and I had a great time running out of gas and then getting sprayed with gas. Read more about it by clicking on Lucy's name above.

I loved watching all the little kids from our ward watch the school play. We love our church friends.

No comments:

cjanerun