Monday, August 20, 2007

Book Review #13--The Nanny Diaries


This is another really easy and entertaining read. Though totally different than Eat, Pray, Love (see book review below), it left me with the same feeling of being so grateful for an ordinary life.


This is the story of a New York student who literally stumbles across a nanny job at the Park and ends up working for Mr. and Mrs. X watching their son Grayer. She soon gets more than she bargained for as Mrs. X is a control freak and Mr. X doesn't even know she's working for him. The story is an expose of the rich and powerful in Manhattan. It is very similar in feel to the Devil Wears Prada. Total fluff--kind of reminded me of an extra long article in People Magazine. There's not much substance to it but it was the perfect read for a lazy few days at the lake.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I read this book long ago...fluffy but fun...and sad that some people actually live like this.

We had live in nannies while we were growing up but it wasn't anything like this book.

Lucy said...

I remember hating this book. Hating the nanny for putting up with it but most of all hating the parents for being selfish.

jenny said...

I really enjoyed that book. (mainly because I got through it so fast). Woo hoo for me :) I haven't read it in a while. I actually want to see the movie.

Kelly said...

I worked as a Nanny while I was in college. This book isn't as far fetched as it seemed. (Lucy, some of us will do anything for hoards of money!) I LOVED this book because I lived it.

Jill said...

I started this book awhile ago and couldn't get into it. I have issues with people with serious wealth, especially if their kids are nightmares.

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

I loved the part about the playdate with the crack mom. Ok, I know it's serious stuff in real life, but it was hilarious to read about in fiction! I loved the book and can't wait to see the movie. I hope they keep the part about fitting into a taxi as a teletubby!

cjanerun