Monday, August 20, 2007

Book Review #11--Veil of Roses


I thought I would get back into the blogging mode by doing some quick book reviews.
Thanks to Kelly A. I have had two books to read while hanging out at the lake. She sent me A Veil of Roses and Eat, Love, Pray. Receiving these books in the mail made my day.
I was intrigued by A Veil of Roses after reading the review on Kelly's blog so I started with it first.

The story begins in Iran on Tamira's birthday. She is in her 20's, well educated and full of dreams that will never be fulfilled due to the opression she faces in Iran. She has worked as a teacher of young girls but the duty of transitioning them to the phase of their life where they become veiled is too emotionally exhausting for her. Because she knows the reality of what this means for them she becomes physically ill and is unable to teach any longer. For her birthday her parents give her a visa and a plane ticket to America. Her sister lives in Arizona and to become a permanent resident she must find someone to marry before her visa expires.


Tamira longs for freedom but she seems doomed to marry an Iranian man who will opress her in America. Ultimately she must decide how much she is willing to give up to achieve her dreams.
It is fun to see America through Tamira's eyes and realize how much we take for granted. It is also entertaining to watch Tamira juggle her many love interests only to end up finding true love in the end.

Thanks Kelly for thinking to send it to me!

5 comments:

Kristin said...

This book sounds good.

Lucy said...

I'm going to read this one too.

Kelly said...

I wanted this to be a true story because wouldn't it be great if you could wrap up huge problems in life with a two month love affair?

Jill said...

I've never heard of this one before, but it sounds good.

Carolyn said...

Almost picked this book up at Target yesterday, but dutifully proceeded straight to the school supply section. :-) I'll have to head back and get it. Great review.

cjanerun