Our Beijing adventure ended with a Bang yesterday as we packed in as much touring as we could stand. We started off with a tour to a packed Tianeman Square, the largest inner city public square in the world. It also is the mausoleum for chairman Mao and the entrance into the forbidden city. While Tianeman square is so-so, the Forbidden City is impressive with its many buildings, glazed tile roofs, large lion statues, and carved dragons. However, the heat and crowds were so oppressive that we were all glad when it was over.
After lunch we had a bit of free time and went back to the Pearl market to finish our shopping. I bought gifts for all the kids and I am so glad to have that taken care of. The shopping turned out to be so much fun. Tony met a guy at breakfast who is a seasoned traveler to China and he said you should always offer 15% of their asking price. This proved to be incredibly fun as we bargained our way through electronics, shoes and purses. Eli and the Lundberg boys had the most fun and were absolutely giddy. At one point they talked a seller into selling them 5 shirts for 100 yuan which is about $3 each. The starting price was $18 per shirt. Eli got a Rolex watch, two tshirts, another mandarin style shirt and 2 hats for $42. For whatever reason this was the adventure of the day.
Little did we know we were just starting. We left the market and headed for the train station. I have never seen anything like this station. It is massive and a sea of humanity. There were so many terminals just packed with people. Apparently it's not a big tourist thing to do because we were the only foreigners in sight. As you go to get on the train everyone is pushing and pressing forward and I was a little nervous about losing Lily.
Luckily we all stuck together and made it onto the train. The train is a sleeper and there are four beds in each compartment and the Lundbergs had one and we were next door. We were hoping no one would join us but at the last minute a Chinese man entered the compartment. Kelly insisted that lily and I move over to their place and the boys all sleep with the man. She didnt have to twist my arm and I was more than happy to sleep with tony and Kelly. We loved the rocking motion of the train and slept great. I did wake up every time the train stopped and thought to myself, I can't believe I am on a night train in the middle of China!! So far the most exciting part of our trip.
We arrived in Xian this morning and are now at the Foster home Now the real adventure begins.
I'll write more about that tomorrow.
I can't post pictures in my post so scroll down for more pics. I can only post the pics from my iPhone so they are not the greatest but at least it gives the idea if what we are experiencing.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

+copy2.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment