Thursday, June 07, 2012

Great Day At the Great Wall

Today was our much anticipated day at the Great Wall of China. We went to a different part than I had been to before. To get there we drove through the countryside which was dotted with peach and cherry trees mixed in with weekend getaway resorts for the people of Beijing.

Once we got to the Great Wall, We rode a chairlift up the mountain which put us right on the wall. That didn't stop us from getting a good workout though. There were lots of steep stairs but the views of the Great wall were worth it. One highlight at the beginning of our tour was meeting adoptive parents who were here adopting a cute six year old girl. They were from Layton, Utah and spotted Eli's BYU hat and struck up a conversation with us. After our walk on the wall we got to take the easy way down on an Alpine slide. By this point we were dripping with sweat in the 90 degree heat so it felt so good. Unfortunately we were behind a very slow woman and her very young son. She was even too slow for my cautious self so that was a little disappointing for the big boys, including Tony.

We had another wonderful Chinese lunch. I swear it is worth the trip just for the good food.

Then it was off to see the water cube and the birds nest from the Olympics. The entire Olympic park is very impressive and was packed with people. I can only imagine how exciting it must have been in 2008. I loved seeing it all since we lived those Olympic games of Beijing so much. There is fabulous artwork throughout the park.

The day wasn't over yet. We hit the 5:15 show of the Chinese acrobats who never fail to disappoint with the amazing things they can do with their bodies.

By the time the show ended our jet lag was catching up with us and we dragged ourselves to dinner. We went to another amazing restaurant specializing in noodles that were so yummy but due to our tiredness we couldn't eat much. Finally we made it back to the hotel and the kids literally hit the pillow and were out. I am forcing myself to write of the days events before I sleep.

I am so happy to be here with the Lundbergs. It has made the trip
So fun for all of us. One more day of being tourists and then we head to Xian where the work begins.




Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

cjanerun