Saturday, November 08, 2008

Whole Wheat Pizza



We've had a Friday night pizza tradition around our house for a long time. Jason and I typically go out on Friday nights and back in the days when we hired babysitters Jason would always pick up pizza and a babysitter on his way home from work. A couple of years ago we took the Dave Ramsey class and I started to look for ways to make every dollar count and I decided to start making homemade pizza on Friday nights. Several months ago I became converted to wheat flour and started using it in everything. Our family loves this whole wheat pizza crust.

Here's the recipe:

Whole Wheat Pizza:

1 Cup warm water
1 Tablespoon (or envelope) active dry yeast
2 3/4 Cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoons sugar

Combine yeast, sugar and warm water. Let sit for about five minutes. Add salt, flour and olive oil. I add my flour one cup at a time. I use a kitchen aid to mix it and use the kneading paddle for about 4-5 minutes. Let rise for 30-45 minutes. Let rise for 30-45 minutes roll out, add ingredients cook in oven at 425 for about 15-18 minutes.

It's faster than driving to Papa Murphy's like I used to and tastes a whole lot better too.

3 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh, oh, oh, I'm so excited you posted this. I love whole wheat and making our pizzas, but didn't have a great recipe. Thank you, thank you Andrea!

Anne said...

Yeah, I'm glad you posted the recipe! I was going to ask!

Carolyn said...

You are a life saver - I just bought a pizza stone this weekend and have been looking for a good pizza dough recipe. Thank you!

cjanerun