Monday, November 03, 2008

Time & A Season

Spring Break 2008

Last year we all started skiing together as a family. Jason, Eli, and Jonah had gone several times over the year but I hadn't been in 14 years. So this year we are all excited to ski again. We've got our skis tuned, our passes bought and we are just waiting for the snow. This morning Jason and I attended a ski conditioning class and I thought I was going to die. But I did make an important discovery (besides the fact that I am inexcusably out of shape). The kids can survive with both of us gone in the mornings. We came home to kids dressed and eating breakfast. It's all part of mytransition into a whole new phase of life. When we adopted Lily and Jack I had to just let a lot of things go so I could give them all they needed to make up for the nurturing they missed as infants. I simply could not be distracted from this task so I slowly let things go. In the process I grew and stretched myself in so many ways learning compassion and submission to things I could not control. Now I'm emerging and doing things I haven't done in years. How many times I repeated to myself there is a time and a season for everything. As I witness the drastic change from summer to fall I see the seasons of my life changing too.

Note: normally I would have typed this up and deleted it immediately. Here's to posting.

8 comments:

carlo said...

i am so glad you posted this and did not delete it or let it sit in drafts...it is important for you to see the changes but also b/c it inspires others and lets us see that there is a time and place and phases...

with our girls at 11 and 6, i see this new phase as exciting most days and a bit sad some days. mostly though i love the new adventures we will have and try to focus on that!

thanks for posting...

Anne said...

I'm so happy to see you posting again! I look forward to reading about your daily adventures!

I love looking back and seeing all the stuff I wouldn't have remembered if I hadn't posted it. Its not necessarily that I could have forgotten the event, but that I would have forgotten exactly when and maybe even which kid! ;o)

Lucy said...

Wow - November is going to rock with Andrea posts:) I'm glad you didn't delete this. I find it really informative. I mean - this is huge! Both leaving in the morning? Two years ago, I couldn't have imagined it. You've come a long way, baby!

Kelly said...

Wow, on a school morning! That's monumental alright! It's a whole new world, the season of you! Enjoy it!

Kristin said...

I'm excited to read a month's worth of posts! I love your insights into life so I am glad you didn't delete it either.

Ana Cristina said...

I loved your pictures, you look so beautiful (your hair looks longer), and the kids seemed to be enjoying the weather (ai que frio!). For us down here, we're melting, over the 90s, and praying for rain. It was good to know that more free time is arriving in your life, enjoy it.
Love
Ana

KariAnn said...

Good job. I'm excited to see what you do every day. I was thinking about doing 5 in 5 (5 posts in 5 days) which would be a stretch for me.

Lara said...

Watching your family live and grow always gives me hope for mine.

Enjoy your new season!!!!!!

cjanerun