Jack as a little baby.
Crying in the orphanage.Adopting Jack has been one of the biggest miracles of my life. Sometimes I get so caught up in the ordinary of our family's life that I overlook the extraordinary and it takes a day like today to bring those realizations to the surface. It's been three years today since Jack officially joined our family. Jason and I woke up in a hotel room in Guangzhou, China with a lot of excitement and a little bit of fear. That same morning Jack woke up with a lot of fear and very little excitement. The moment is seared in my memory but even more so in his. When Jack was sorting his Halloween candy he came to me with a package of mini m&m's and said, "look mom, this is the candy you gave me when you adopted me." He was right. I had pulled out a pack of mini m&m's to help him come to me on that day three years ago. I don't remember ever talking about this to him, yet he remembered.
Recently I was thinking about Jack and had one of those moments where understanding is quickened. It's a nanosecond in time but the impressions remain. I had a moment where I realized the miracle of Jack's life. That he was born, abandoned, living in loneliness and then ultimately surrounded by those who love him and whom he loves. He is part of a family. Anytime a family is formed it's a miracle. He is an example of hope and of the power of the atonement. It's plainly obvious to me now (but hasn't always been) that I will never understand the depth of loneliness that an orphan child feels. I can only take comfort in my absolute faith that the Savior knows. I can be in instrument in helping Jack know that too.
Today I dropped Jack off for school. He was greeted by one of his classmates who was so happy to see him. "C'mon Jack," he said and invited Jack to hang out in the teepee the teacher had just set up. Jack ran off with him looking over his shoulder at me with a twinkle in his eye. I smiled at him and gave him the thumbs up. I think we were both thinking how far we've come since this day in time three years ago. Fear has been replaced by hope for both of us. 


+copy2.jpg)
11 comments:
We love you Jack! Happy gotcha day!!
What a powerful post. Jack and Lily are so blessed to be a part of your family, and you are just as blessed to have them in your lives. You are right about the miracle of forming a family, any way you do it. Jack is adorable, and has come so far in a short three years.
what a beautiful story you have andrea. and i realize it didn't just happen, that it took a lot.
the m and m story brought tears to my eyes.
thanks for popping over-- it was great to "see" you!
Happy Three years! I'm so glad I know Jack and have been a witness to his growth. He's a beautiful boy and is a shining jewel in your family crown.
just stopping in for your "SPT" but am so glad I read your blog...my heart was touched by your words and your unconditional love.
Thank you for sharing.
Dear Andrea and Jack.
we have felt the same thing that Jack is such an important member of the family. I was worried when you got lilly but with Jack I just knew he was to be our little boy. what a joy he is. thank you for your love for him Andrea
love
anandad
I loved this post, Andrea- what a wonderful gift you have given (each other!)
Oh, and btw- I am the purchaser of one of your ebay auctions :) Could you email me please?? jelynn@telusplanet.net thanks!
the m&m part makes me cry. he remembered. adoption is such a beautiful miracle. i'm so happy for your family. thanks for posting this.
This post touched me so much. I can't believe it's already been 3 years since Anna was telling me how excited she was for "star boy" to come to her family. It brings me such joy to watch Jack and Lily thrive in your family. They're such beautiful children of God!
Thank you for your post. I have been thinking about the loneliness of an orphan all day today. I saw a picture of a little girl in Summer's orphanage that hurt me deeply. Thank you for your wise words and your heart. Thanks for helping us with our miracle. We love your family.
We have to talk more. What amazing memories everything about Jack brings. We love that boy.
Post a Comment