Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Calm Before the Storm

So, things are pretty mellow around here these days and today I realized it must be the calm before the storm. In exactly one week the kids will be out of school and I will have 6 young un's to keep content. I plan to read, swim and lounge around with the kids, enjoying each other and hopefully teaching the oldest kids some new skills to make them more self-reliant. That's what I think every summer though and instead I struggle to keep everyone happy and it seems that all we accomplish is producing one meal after another. I've decided to hopefully nip this in the bud and hired a babysitter for twenty hours a week for the entire summer. Maybe with two of me we'll get some stuff done.

The end of school will be a milestone for us as Eli moves from elementary school to middle school. How am I old enough to have a child in Jr. High???

Tonight I went to our ward book group for the first time in ages. I used to go faithfully and then the book group fell apart. Luckily tonight all of my favorite people were there so it was quite enjoyable. We discussed our favorite children's books and I got lots of great ideas of books that I had never heard of. I am most excited to read the Empty Pot by Demi and surprise, surprise it's a Chinese tale!

14 comments:

jenny said...

I'll be honest, it is an adjustment. But I think I am finally getting to be used to it after a week. Happy Friday!

Lara said...

Enjoy the calm! I always have big dreams for the summer too - but it all comes down to trying to enjoy the journey as it comes - don't always have control over what happens along the way.

Hope the babysitting works out!

Michelle Alley said...

My milestone was the girls moving on from Pre-K. I'll have all my kids at school at once - what am I to do - hopefully lots! Great to see you hired a babysitter - will be nice for those long summer days.

Kelly said...

The babysitter is brilliant.

The one meal after another is what gets me. I had a friend who continued to pack sack lunches in the morning just like the school year. Then she didn't have to stop and cook in the middle of the day.

Not sure if that would be the answer for me either.

Wells is learning self reliance this summer too. So far a cell phone was left in his pocket and was washed and dried. Laundry learned, check! Keeping track of our personal effects? Sigh, self reliance in baby steps around here!

Enjoy the calm!

Betina said...

Having kids in school will be a whole new world for me this Fall. I can see that one has to gear up for summer time and put away any personal projects they may have been working on.

Good luck. A babysitter is a great idea.

Are you going to do Kelly's "snack shack" idea?

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Andrea, who did you get to babysit? I think we both miss Cherise too much! You will love that babysitter so much by the end of summer! And I bet you will reach your goal of teaching your kids. It's just a matter of them actually giving a crap about it after they learn! :)

Lucy said...

Last week! Eek! You're going to fabulously. Having a babysitter this summer is going to change your life! such a smart move.

Rebecca said...

I would be having anxiety about junior high too. Although you have some relief knowing he will be there with Dustin giggling about something way too "young" for anyone else to care about. Once again, thank goodness for the Shirleys!

KariAnn said...

I'm so excited for you with the babysitter. That was brilliant. You're going to have the best summer ever. I'm seriously tempted to do the same thing once a week though I'll probably never get around to it. I have "The Empty Pot", it's a cute book. I love children's books. Any other good recommendations?

Tara said...

Hi Andrea,
Thanks for your comment on my blog, I'll definitely ask Lucy about it when I see her this weekend and maybe get your email address. It's nice to know that there is someone out there that has been through it.

The strangest thing about Caleb is that he goes and goes often! Maybe the GoLytely procedure will give us some more answers!

carlo said...

i can't wait to hear about your adventures. i still smile about the yogurt and cat in the closet...

:)

carlo said...

oh and the babysitter- GENIUS!

michelle said...

1. Your kids get out of school late!

2. 6 kids. You're a champ.

3. Having two of you is the best idea ever!

4. I have one going to jr. high next year, I still can't believe it.

Kristin said...

I think having a child in jr.high will be a BIG milestone! You know I will need all of your sage advice for when Reilly is making that step!

What were some of the kids' books recommendation? We are going to READ READ READ this summer. I am totally doing a summer reading list for Reilly again...with a big reward at the end when she reads everything on the list. It worked great last year. Any good "tween" lit that you know of?

cjanerun