Sunday, June 17, 2007

Book Review #5--Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton


Cry, The Beloved Country is such a well-known title to me, yet I've never read it. I bought it awhile ago at Costco when I was leaving on a trip and needed something to read. I never got around to it and put it on the shelf and recently rediscovered it. I didn't think I would like it but I was determined to read it.


I ended up loving this book and would rank it as one of my all time favorites.


There are so many levels to this story. It is a story of racial injustice and the beginnings of apartheid in South Africa. This is a country and a topic I know so little about and now I am intrigued. The writings of Abraham Lincoln are referenced in this book and now I want to study Lincoln and learn more about him.


This is also a story about the strength of the family and how when the family unit is torn apart society suffers. I thought of the Family Proclamation several times throughout the novel. Ultimately this is a story of forgiveness and the gift it to forgive someone. It is about how tragedy is sometimes necessary for a greater purpose to be accomplished. These are some of the themes I love. I found this book very moving and I was unable to put it down. It is so rich, yet easy to read and understand.
I was surprised at how much this book affected me. It left me wanting to strengthen my family and be more forgiving to others. It gave me greater respect for cultures different than mine and the values we can learn from them. This is a definite must-read.


7 comments:

eighthchild said...

Hi Andrea, it's Cousin Boyd. I check out your blog every couple of days. Got it off my sister Karen's blog.

I love this book, too. I think this is one book where I love the movie just as much. Watch it if you haven't.

My wife keeps a blog.

http://nenaland.blogspot.com/

I'm glad to be able to keep up with your family. Keep it up!

Lara said...

You are on a great reading roll. I can't wait to get my hands on Twilight and start reading again. (Just waiting for Amazon to deliver.)

Kristin said...

This is a book that I heard about over and over again and have never read...I guess I should!

Betina said...

I remember loving this book too. The language in sections of it was breathtaking.

Kelly said...

How are you finding all this time to read. Sounds like this was one you make time for.

I'm adding it to the stack, thanks.

sista # 2 said...

I have always loved Africa,but after my parents lived there for 3 years & I visited (south africa-Johannesburg)-it's deep in my heart now. You can never be the same after going there. This book is a thinker -I found it deep moving & real. It is sad, but I would recommend this book ;)

Jill said...

I actually have 2 copies of this book on my shelf (one was a gift) and still haven't read it. I think I've been intimidated by it because of the subject matter, but that's foolish because it comes so highly recommended and because I've loved other books like this. Duh. Have you read The Power of One by Bryce Courtnay?

cjanerun