Monday, June 11, 2007

Book Review #4 Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See



I consider myself a "girlfriend" type of girl, meaning I get along well with other women and quite frankly depend on them for my sanity. I love philosophying, empathizing, gossiping and getting advice from my girlfriends.


I loved Snowflower and the Secret Fan because that is basically what this book is about, the timeless theme of enduring friendship between women. The novel is set in 19th century China and follows the lives of Snowflower and Lily from age 7 onward. At the time women were isolated and illiterate and so a secret language was formed allowing women to communicate with each other. It seriously reminds me on a primitive level of blogging.


Lily is the narrator of the book so we see the story through her eyes. Snowflower and Lily are chosen to be "old sames," meaning the stars have basically aligned for them to be best friends forever. Using the secret language they exchange letters on a fan. As they grow their lives take different directions due to circumstances beyond their control. Both girls enter into arranged marriages and Lily finds herself as happy as one can be in an arranged marriage. She has a kind mother-in-law and a kind husband. She successfully gives birth to two golden sons and a daughter. Snowflower, because of the sins of her father, cannot qualify for a good match and marries a butcher (not a good profession in ancient China) and is subjected to a life of abuse and heartache.


The book points out what women have done through the ages, unfairly judging each other, and hurting the very women whom they are closest to. Snowflower and the Secret Fan is an easy read, packed full of fascinating facts about ancient China. I almost couldn't read the book due to very graphic descriptions of the Chinese practice of footbinding. It sounds like torture but all in the name of beauty. Sound familiar?


While this is a story of 19th century China the themes of female friendship are universal to our day and setting. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who is a girlfriend type of girl.

10 comments:

Da said...

Now I know what your doing instead of blogging....your reading! Good for you!! You really are working on the 50 books in one year goal! I've had this book on my list also and plan on picking it up for the drive on Thursday and Friday...that is if Margaret allows me a single moment of peace! ;o)

Did I send you the photos I have of foot binding?

Anne

Kristin said...

Andrea...I am loving all your book reviews!! This one sounds great!

michelle said...

I looooooved that book! I found it fascinating and I also really enjoyed the friendship, I only wish it had endured forever...

Lara said...

Again, sounds like a good read. I think you have me hooked on Chinese themes now too.

I never liked history - but add some culture to it and/or a story (like I discovered in Humanities classes) then I really get into it!

Rebecca said...

I'm loving the reviews. I depend on my friends to tell me what to read! I'm kind of dependent that way. By the way I just came across a few of your books, oops, sorry. I'll get those back to you.

Betina said...

okay, HOW DO YOU FIND TIME TO READ SO MUCH.??! You are a book machine. This one looks good. I will order it from the library.

I love suggestions for good books, as I am really bad at finding a good book on a library shelf when left to my own accord.

[alisar] said...

Lucy gave me this book at our Christmas exchange. I can't wait to read it this summer - it sounds wonderful.

Bridget said...

Thanks for the review. Can't wait to read it. Hope summer is treating you well. Take care!

Lucy said...

I really loved this book. For it's history and it's story of friendship and womanhood. Look at you already to #4!

Jill said...

We read this in our book club last year and all loved it. It was such an engrossing read, though painful too.

cjanerun