Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Book Review #3--The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri


I've always considered it a great blessing to know who I am, where I came from and where I'm going. Knowing these things about myself makes it easy for me to make good life decisions. Not knowing these things causes Gogol, the main character in "The Namesake" to live an unfulfilled life. Gogol is the first born of Indian immigrants. He is born in Boston while his father is in graduate school. Gogol's father takes a job in the U.S. and never returns to India. Thus Gogol is raised by Indian parents in America. He knows the traditions and customs of his Indian heritage but they are foreign and strange to him because he is at heart an American. As a result no one can really understand him and this leads to a series of disappointing relationships, including those with his own family.


Gogol's biggest problem is his name. While his name has deep meaning to his father, the meaning isn't made known to Gogol until later in his life.


I found this book to be a good read, catching my attention and keeping it throughout the book. It gave me a lot to think about since I am raising children who may at some point in their lives have an identity crisis due to the fact that they were born in China but raised in a caucasian family and will be very American. Hopefully they will know who they are, where they came from and where they are going.

8 comments:

Anne said...

I've heard about this book, and should add it to my summer reading list! Thanks for the reminder!

I just remembered tonight that I was going to tell you about a book and a movie that the kids (and you) might enjoy before we go to see the Lipizzaner Stallions! The book is called White Stallion of Lipizza, by Marguerite Henry. The movie is Miracle of the White Stallions and its done by Disney. You might have to have your library special order it and you can get the Miracle of the White Stallions from Netfix or Blockbuster online.

Anne

Carolyn said...

I loved your review of this book, especially your thoughts about Jack and Lily. Who, I should mention, I adore. They have such special spirits. I admire you and Jason so much and that you listened to the spirit to search them out and bring them "home."

Kelly said...

You are on fire with your book reviews! This one really interests me, thanks.

jethrojones said...

Jhumpa Lahiri is an amazing writer. One of my all-time favorite books is also by her: "The Interpreter of Maladies". She has such a neat writing style, and gives such a deep and intriguing insight into the Indian-American culture. Very fascinating. I will have to read this book sometime. When you come down later this month remind me to get Interpreter for you...and give you back a book I borrowed a while ago.

Lucy said...

I liked this book too. I feel silly typing it all out because I know I've already said everything to you.

I think your perspective with Lily and Jack makes it so much more interesting, though. I wonder how both of them with struggle and grow with their own identities. I'm sure you and Jason will be all over it.

Oh...and my own little story about who I am on the inside vs. the outside. Seth told me tonight as I was hanging his clean clothes in his closet that even though I didn't like it, I was a great cleaner. And that, like Cinderella, my outside just doesn't match my inside. I asked him what he meant, and he said, "Well, you are a queen even though you don't really look like one." I sort of chuckled and said, "What do you mean?" He started backtracking fast and I tried to reassure him that I was only interested in what he meant and that my feelings weren't hurt at all but he wouldn't ever finish the thought. I guess he's learning early to not tell girls what they really think if it ain't a compliment! And I learned that it doesn't actually make you feel better to be told, "It's what's on the inside that matters." Um....I want a pretty outside too!

So, apparently, Gogol and I could have a nice long chat about our inside/outside struggles:)

Jill said...

This sounds interesting, especially in light of your own experience raising internationally adopted children.

Rebecca said...

I love your review and your insights! I enjoyed reading this book. It helped me see how some things can be very difficult to explain to someone who hasn't had the same experiences or emotions. It will be interesting to learn how Jack and Lily express their feelings to you about where they came from. They are so blessed to have parents who are so open and understanding and easy to talk to.

michelle said...

Good food for thought. I'm grateful I know where I came from and where I am going, too, but it's good to remember that our children don't necessarily know that -- until we teach them!

cjanerun