One year ago today I gave a talk in Stake Conference titled, "The Lost Coin." The entire talk was based on the parable of the lost coin and I began my talk with a personal experience about losing my keys, praying to find them and then finding them in the same spot I had searched several times.
Fast forward to today and it is again stake conference. Because I have a stake calling stake conference Sunday is one of my busiest church days of the year. In our stake we do an "Eight is Great" meeting for all 8 year olds to help prepare them for their baptism. Since they have to come an hour early to stake conference we serve a light breakfast. None of this is that big of a deal but I do have to leave my house by 8:15 to get everything ready and I also have to set up the night before. That means Jason is on his own to get all 6 kids fed, dressed and to the stake center on time. We had planned for him to arrive by 9:30 so that we could sit in seats in the chapel. Our stake requires everyone in their seats by 9:45 so that people aren't saving seats until the last minute. Jason wasn't there by 9:45 and I was paniced because I knew something was wrong. He is usually so good about getting places on time when he knows he needs to. At 9:55 this girl from my ward tells me that Jason is on the phone in the foyer and he can't find the keys to our car. He was so frustrated. I grabbed my coat and left the chapel directing a family in my ward to the comfy chapel seats.
We had gone skiing this weekend and I drove the last half home because Jason was so tired. The keys were in my pocket but they had fallen out and he couldn't find them anywhere. Our kids were sitting in the car in the garage with no heat (it was 11 degrees this morning) for over 30 minutes. I decided to just go home and pick them up but by the time I got there Jason had found them. Jonah said 3 prayers and he was the one who found them.
I jumped in the car with the fam and Jason told me that they hadn't been able to find Eli's church pants anywhere so Jason told him to find some other pants in the closet. I looked back and realized that Eli was wearing MY capris!!! I had seen them in his closet earlier this week but hadn't grabbed them. Sometimes Lisa (she does my landry for me) gets confused with my clothes and puts them in the boys' closet.
So our family arrived to stake conference 20 minutes late, sat in an overflow room, and hoped no one noticed the capri pants. I think Heavenly Father is trying to keep our family humble.

+copy2.jpg)
8 comments:
I remember that talk last year - it was great! Sorry about the lost keys - I was wondering where you were going when you passed us. The capris story was hilarious. That just goes to show how skinny you are that Eli can wear your pants! :-)
Oh my! I'm impressed your husband made it at all. I think mine may have just given up and went back to bed. :)
I wish I could have seen Eli in your capris.
No one noticed the capris because they were too busy worrying about what their own kids had on.
My husband would have considered it a gift that the keys were missing! And by the time I got back home again I might have agreed.
That is a testament to your deep spiritually...I would've gone home and STAYED home. I would've considered it a sign from God that we were just supposed to stay home!!
As for the capris!! Hilarious! What a great kid Eli is to go to Church anyway. If Reilly is forced to wear a different color ribbon from the one she wants to wear it is hysteria-central! If she were wearing my pants she would've just laid down and died of humilation!
P.S. Great idea the coloring pages. It kept my kids (and me) busy all conference.
O.K. Andrea, I seriously think you need to get like 15 copies of your keys made. Although I am sure you would still lose all of them! You are too funny! I could just see Jason ripping the house apart. I could even hear him saying "HUNNY, how many times do I have to tell you to put the keys on the hook!"
I wish you would have taken a picture of Eli in the Capri's! He is such a cutie! Did he even realize they were your pants? He was probably in his own world thinking about which lego set he was going to build next... LOL :) Love that kid! :)
My favorite part is definitely the capris. Although I didn't notice on my own. What a sport to not freak out when you told him.
You are a star for coming back and sitting in an overflow room with six kids for what was a pretty boring conference. You're going to get some bonus points from somewhere.
That is a great story. Mind you I am sure that Jason was swearing yesterday finding the keys. How funny he was wearing your capri's! I am glad you found them. Like Lucy said you are definitely a star for making efforts and still going. I may have said lets just stay in.
Post a Comment