Thursday, January 11, 2007

My Great Discovery

So one thing I forgot to mention on my "100 things" list is that I hate to grocery shop and I mean really hate it. It takes so much time and energy. It's so hard to take my kids because there just isn't enough room in the cool kid carts. If I do go without the kids I seem to venture out at odd hours when I'd rather be cozy in my pj's relaxing at home. Recently I started taking my kids to a drop-in childcare service at our local Fred Meyer and I thought it was life changing. I could walk around the store, do my shopping and browsing, all without kids. But still it was a chunk of time out of my day and a lot of work pushing a heavy cart around the store looking for that one item I couldn't find.

Well, yesterday my life changed forever. I was reading a back issue in "O" magazine when an article caught my eye. It was about Oprah's debt diet and it mentioned that one woman spent so much on groceries because she was always throwing extra items in the cart. I can definitely relate to that. They advised that she shop online so she could stick to her list. Forget sticking to the list: grocery shopping without leaving my home sounded wonderful. I started thinking about this and getting really excited. As soon as my kids went to bed I typed in my favorite grocery store's name in google and found out that they do in fact deliver (am I living in the dark ages, or what?) Sign me up! In less than 15 minutes I had signed up and filled my online cart with every item on my list. I scheduled it to be delivered between 9:00 and 11:00 this morning.
What I loved is that I could pick what brands I wanted, even the store brands. You can also view their add online and see what the specials are for the week. The best part is they only charge $10.00 to deliver, which I think is worth every penny when you factor in convenience, gas, and most importantly MY TIME.

Does anybody else grocery shop online?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no way you are living in the dark ages if you have grocery delivery! I am living in the wrong town.

And for $10, I open $10 worth of food just trying to keep Quinn occupied in the grocery cart. What a fabulous find!

I'm gushing for you and your great find, all the while being green with envy!

Lucy said...

Oh, Andrea. You have unleashed the beast. I am so looking forward to trying this.

jenny said...

I have actually never done that with the exception of priceline. Remember when you could bargain your milk? I probably would save hundreds doing this. My kids are known for throwing in some extra goodies with a begging plead to go with it.

Kristin said...

Wow!! I can't wait to hear how it goes. It sounds fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I just read your comment over at Jenny's about the cat in the car.

Super gross! We took our car to a garage for repairs once. When we got it back it had extra miles on it and vomit on the floor in the back seat! Long story short, I know what you mean about the smell on a hot day. Blech!

KariAnn said...

This is such a great idea, I'm definintely going to try it as soon as I get organized enough to know what groceries I need. You might have the best find of 2007 and it's only January!!! P.S. I haven't yet figured out how to publish a comment with my real name on it instead of my blog title. Remind me to ask you.
-kariAnn

Jay said...

Never heard of it.

Syd said...

Wow, that sounds fabulous. What store do you use? I remember when I was at Ricks they would deliver your groceries, but you had to go shop for them yourself. :) I am going to have to see if they have that around here, but I doubt it.

I enjoyed your 100 list. I love baths too. I realized when I got some bath salts this Christmas that I hadn't used the ones I got last Christmas. Very sad, so I've had two baths already since then. My best friend from high school went to BYU Jerusalem the Spring of 93. What term were you there? I've been in Primary for 5 and a half years straight. Not quite your record. I actually got released recently and don't have a new calling yet. I love the name Jack and wanted Jordan to be Jackson. (but I don't watch 24). And I also would LOVE to be able to pay for someone to adopt. You sound like an amazing woman and mother.

Staci said...

Your suggestion for delivering groceries is wonderful. I found an Albertson's that delivers and it was absolutely wonderful. Jethro hates to grocery shop and it is hard to take Katya. It was so nice to not have to carry groceries up 3 flights of stairs- Jethro's favorite thing. Thanks for the wonderful suggestion.

charity said...

I totally do this all the time I found out about it when I was on bedrest for 3.5 months with Mary. Welcome to the world of no grocery shopping:)

cjanerun