Thursday, January 25, 2007

Three Ring Circus

Let me begin two nights ago. We had just finished another awesome night at our Financial Peace University class and were getting ready to leave when our facilitator said he had some prizes to hand out. As soon as he said prizes I knew it had to be tickets to the US Figure Skating Championships. I was dying to go but hadn't even thought about making it a reality. First he asked: Who is free tomorrow night?
I can always make sure I'm free for something good so up shot my hand, along with nearly everyone else in the class. Then he asked: Who is doing their zero based budget? Affirmative again. The next qualifying question was: Who is using cash and categorizing it into envelopes?



At this point I'm so excited because I'm still in it! I'm loving the envelope system. I love it so much that sometimes I break open my wallet and count all my money in my different categories. So Yes, Yes, Yes!

The final qualifying question was: Who is selling things?
Here it the proof. This mess in my dining room confirms that I am selling things. Well, the prize was in fact tickets to the US Figure Skating Championships. Jason subbed for our facilitator last week while he was out of town so he said we got one set of tickets and then it was between Lucy and the Sanderson's for the other set. I just handed one of my tickets to Lucy and our teacher gave the other set to the Sanderson's. Then he brought another ticket over to Jason, or so we thought it was another ticket. It was only after we MAJORLY embarassed ourselves offering it to one of my friends that we realized that the ticket was in fact for VIP parking. Jason was so embarassed and sick about it all day.


Lucy and I both had swimming lessons for our kids the night of the skating so we rushed home and managed to fit in a quick dinner at Red Robin. We arrived just in time for the opening skate of the night. We got to sit in a luxury box and were tickled pink that we got FREE drinks! We're so easy to please. I love ice skating and Jason dislikes it so much that he can't even tolerate letting me watch it. My favorite part was the costumes and hearing the blades cut into the ice as the skater flew past us. It is amazing what these skaters can do with their bodies and how strong they are.


We got home late and I had some stuff to do to get ready for today. I ended up going to bed fairly early, but still ended up paying for it this morning. It seemed like all the kids were not functioning as I felt they should be and I found myself screaming like a woman who had lost her mind. My poor kids didn't know what had hit them and I spent the day feeling so much regret. Today was laundry day so Lisa arrived at 9:30 then at 10:00 I had a hair appointment. The girl who cuts my hair comes to my house which is so convenient and I thought it would work out great since Lisa was there. Then at noon my niece Cherise arrived to iron the rest of my stuff for ebay. It ended up taking all four adults to make this haircut happen. Jack has a hard time when I lose it and becomes very clingy. He did not want to leave my side for the whole haircut and color. He knew I was stuck in that chair with foil wraps poking out of my head like an alien and he took full advantage. Jack has a bad habit of saying stupid when things don't go his way. It used to be poo poo but he's moved on to stupid. He will say it over and over again. He loves to get a rise out of me so I ignore him and show little emotion. This is very hard to do when we are in public. He literally said it 50 times before he realized I wasn't going to make eye contact. I could tell that the girl (new mom) cutting my hair was swearing her child would never act like this. Hey, I used to swear that too. Lisa had to drag him downstairs several times and when Cherise arrived I sent her straight downstairs with the kids. It was comical. I now know why I have inches of gray at my roots and wear my hair in a ponytail everyday (something else I swore I would never do). It's just too much work to make it all happen.


8 comments:

Reuel and Ana said...

Dearest Andrea
When I hear stories of your children I have to laugh. Honey I love you but there were times when you were a real brat. I guess it happens to all of us. But you are being a really good mom and I am proud of you. get Eli to finish his blog so I can find out if i got his riddles right. I love you,
dad and Ana

Anonymous said...

Just for kicks the other day I was making a mental list of all the "My kids will never/I will never" things I said in my enlightened years. Ah good times!

Like Jack, I have a really bad habit of using stupid as an adjective for everything! Maybe I'll need to pay attention to see if people aren't making eye contatct with me!

Kristin said...

Let's hear it for the Ponytail moms!! That would be me...pretty much everyday! I used to swear that my kids would never go around with snotty noses...don't look at them today (three with colds). Oh well!

I am EXTREMELY jealous that you got to go watch ice skating!! Cute picture of you and Lucy. Tyler is another one of those who hates to watch ice skating! I am jealous of your financial class!! I'm glad it is going so well.

jenny said...

Cool girls night out!

I feel your pain when it comes to kids, vocabulary, etc. My kids have used a few words (like you read the other day--butt crack) Hello we aren't allowed to use that word!!!!-- which ALL my kids know.

I guess we can't shelter them forever. Hey, and I learned the hard way NEver say NEver right? At least you got your hair done. I am sure it looks great.

Amy said...

I loved the picture of you and Lucy. I am glad you had a good time. Loved the story about Jack! He is such a little rascal :)

Lucy said...

Great night. And Saturday too. And your hair looks great!

Carolyn said...

You're so lucky! You deserve it though - you've been a good "college student" at Dave Ramsey University! :-)

Misty said...

Dang my sick kids and not getting to go to Dave Ramsey that night! I didn't think I'd missed anything good until now! lol

cjanerun