I've mentioned before that Lily and Jack were both born with a medical condition called imperforate anus. Simply explained, in-utero the anus isn't fully formed and there is no opening. Both kids had a colostomy at birth and then later had surgery in China to correct the condition. After we adopted Jack it was determined that both kids needed an additional surgery by a specialist in Cincinnati.
After Jack had his surgery we discovered that the surgery in China was a "surgical catastrophe" according to our surgeon. He suffered irreparable damage to his rectum making it so he would never have normal bowel movements. When I found this out I was devastated both for Jack and for myself. But thanks to an AMAZING medical team in Cincinnati Jack is able to live a normal life thanks to a device we refer to as the Magic Poop Machine.
In June we went back to Cincinnati where we learned all about the magic poop machine (as our family calls it). Every morning Jack needs an enema which completely cleans him out for 24 hours. He has to eat a somewhat restricted diet because certain foods cause his colon to move resulting in unwanted bowel movements. He has handled this so well. It is an unpleasant experience to give a 3 year old a daily enema but it has turned into a blessing in an unexpected way for our family. In December I was going through a really hard time with Jack as he was giving up his naps and very cranky as a result. This made our daily magic poop machine all the more a trying experience for me. I decided to start reading the Book of Mormon and relating every scripture to dealing with my frustrations. I would read out loud to Jack while he was laying on my bed having his enema. Very quickly my heart was softened and I began to see the blessings of this trial. I realized that Jack, who is extremely active, would actually lay there and listen while I read the Book of Mormon to him. I realized that the 10 minutes of our morning was the perfect time for our family to do Scripture Power. We have sturggled so much with scripture study but our weaknesses have truly been made our strengths as we take advantage of this time each morning when Jack must be still and quiet to study the scriptures as a family. We are now blazing through the Book of Mormon and Jack loves to hear stories of Nephi.
A year ago at this time I wept in sorrow for our family. Now I weep tears of JOY that we have been deeply blessed in a way that may have never happened without this trial. I am humbled.

+copy2.jpg)
9 comments:
Andrea,
You are so amazing. I don't know how you do it. Jack and Lily are so lucky to have you as their mother, as are your other kids. I am so lucky to have you as my sister. You are such an example to me.
Dear Andrea
this last blog brought tears to my eyes. you are a very postive person and it is always good to look on the good in our lives rather than the bad. I love you very much and am very thankful that you have turned into such a good mother and person. I remember telling Jason just before you were married that I was afraid you could not boil water. Well I was wrong in that. you can boil water and a lot more.
love
Dad and Ana
Wonderful post! We too have finally discovered a new study system that seems to be working. I was going to blog about ours, although I don't think I could come up with a title as cool as yours!
That is a great story. I am so glad that you geared yourself up and writing it. What a blessing. I have to admit the title gave me a chuckle. But that sounds like something my kids would come up with. You are an inspiration for sure!
Talk about your silver lining. You have always avoided the "woe is me" attitude about things that most people would be crying daily about. It will be such a blessing to both Jack and Lily to know that you handled tough situations with grace, optimism and love. Just another reason I like you so much:)
Andrea,
It is always amazing to me that we truly do receive the blessings we need at the time we need them. I also like to look back, because that helps me recognize the blessings that I have been given.
I also think Jack and Lily were so blessed to become a part of your family - you do a great job with all your kids.
What an inspiration you, Jason and your family are. I hope I can face life's challenges with even half of your faith and positive outlook.
Andrea...what a great post! I love that not only do you show grace, optimism, and love (I totally agree with Lucy's comments)but you keep your sense of humor!! That is so important!! We have to be able to laugh through our tears.
You are a terrific mother. Infact, last night I heard someone talking about what a wonderful family you and Jason have!!
Andrea. you are truly amazing. I came here from KellyA's blog and started reading your story adn I am just amazed...I know these comments are late but I really wanted you to know that you are an inspiration...
Post a Comment