The very word budget seems to hit a nerve with almost everyone I know so I hestitate to bring it up on my blog.
Our bishop, who I think is very innovative and pretty bold, decided to bring Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University to our ward and set it up for 10+ couples to take the class. 

I know not everybody agrees with Dave Ramsey, but I've been a Dave fan since I first read his book Financial Peace about 6 years ago. It was recommended to me at the time by a previous bishop and his wife. I found the principles to be in harmony with what the church teaches about staying out of debt. I also really like how Dave Ramsey says that the first step to financial peace is to pay tithing which of course I agree with. For the past several years we have used cash for everything. This has worked great for us because I like to spend money and I know once my wad of cash is gone it's gone.
But we've never really been great about the budget. Like I said, every two weeks when Jason gets paid I withdraw my predetermined sum of cash from the bank, but I never allocate exactly where it's going. After attending our first Financial Peace class I am determined (and it's required) to create a working budget for us. It's been great to sit down with my little piece of paper and plan out the month. For example, I know that I have gymbucks at Gymboree and the redemption period is in a week so I need money for that. I know that we need a babysitter every week to attend our financial peace class, etc.
It's making me think about my wants vs. my needs and I like that. It's also making me think about the reasons I spend money, a lot of times simply out of boredom or because I'm unprepared. I'm also finding that it's giving more than it's taking away. Today my niece who I love and who is the best babysitter called to say she is wanting to earn some extra money. I have been thinking I need a little extra help with the kids so I just worked her right into my budget!

+copy2.jpg)
7 comments:
Dave Ramsey looks nothing like what I pictured. I've read Financial Peace and listened to him on the radio, but pictured him totally differently. Weird! I really relate to your post. I tend to think the left over money at the end of the month (i.e., the money remaining after tithing, bills, and savings)is a free for all, but it would be nice to be more accountable. Pass on your wisdom!
I'm hoping that taking this class will inspire me to just be accountable. I wouldn't say either Jay or myself are big spenders. But we manage to nickle and dime a lot away. We've made goals in the past to keep track so I'm really hoping that this 13 week course is the trick.
Tyler and I are HUGE Dave Ramsey fans...we are in the thick of the whole plan. I really believe it works. That's great that your ward is doing it. I think it is inspired and I agree that it goes hand in hand with gospel teachings.
Good Luck. I learned my lesson the hard way in college (with my own credit card), and now I'm big on budgeting!! It's come in handy with Hubby being a student/resident. It feels good to stick to a budget to me, I hope you enjoy it too!! That's awesome that your ward is doing that.
I'll be honest. Budgeting makes me gringe. I suck at it and have NEVER stuck by one. Sadly I am constantly robbing peter to pay paul. I will say paying tithing first has ALWAYS been a blessing in our life though.
The bummer part about us is we have tried to keep up with the "jones" in the past and are now paying for it. Umm maybe one day that will be a goal. Right now it would totally be unrealistic. I would be interested to read the book though.
I've never heard of Dave Ramsey, but now I'm curious. I'm terrible about budgeting, but do operate with cash for most things. We're not good about staying within a certain amount of money though and whenever we make more money, we end up spending more money. Not good. I keep hoping we'll start acting like grown-ups one of these days, but it hasn't happened so far.
I have had two different bishops, in two different towns use the word "panicked" when talking about their their concern for the financial states of minds of their ward members. Kudos to your bishop! And good luck with the class.
I myself am married to the King of Budgeting. Just recently I longingly asked him if we would ever get to a point where we would not have account for every cent. He looked at me like I had three heads. As if it were fun to write down every last penny on the chart on our fridge?
Post a Comment