We were so saddened to hear of President Hinckley's passing this evening. In honor of this great man and our beloved prophet I wanted to post a picture I have of him from 1999 when our temple was dedicated.

Of course this was an event that was looked to with great anticipation. Since our temple is a smaller temple there was not enough room to accomodate all of us in the temple. Jason and I had tickets for the stake center that is on the same property as the temple and took our seats in the gym. As we were waiting a member of our stake presidency came and got us and said he had spots for us in the temple. The ushers led us on a marked walkway that led from the stake center and wound around the back of the temple, ending up at the front entrance. As we approached the front doors we were asked to wait a few moments before entering. As we stood there a car drove up and President and Sister Hinckley got out of the car and entered the temple. This was a defining moment in my life as I knew that President Hinckley was indeed a prophet called by God. I have looked back on that moment many times in my life and gained a tremendous amount of strength from that amazing experience.
It was so bittersweet to hear of his passing tonight. I will miss his words and hearing his voice. I was struck with a desire to re-read all of his recent conference talks. We all got a little teary as we remembered our favorite things about our dear prophet. President Hinckley was called to be the prophet only 6 weeks before Eli was born so he's been the only prophet our kids have ever known. I told them they would remember the moment they found out for the rest of their lives.
Praise to the man!

+copy2.jpg)
8 comments:
"I was struck with a desire to re-read all of his recent conference talks." I felt the same and went out and scanned the last two conferences, Andrea. I remember the temple dedication you referred to, what a great experience. Thanks for your post.
Hugs to you and your family, andrea. i know it is a loss for all of you...
i love seeing the pics you all have posted and the tributes i have been reading today.
What a great tribute to a great prophet. As Andrew and I called the kids together to tell them the news, I noticed they seemed to be taking it harder than Andrew and I, but I think it's because, as you said, he's the only propeht they've ever known.
Yes - praise to the man.
How wonderful to have a sweet personal memory of President Hinckley. I treasure the times I was blessed to be in his presence at BYU and once in a sacrament meeting in Utah. He was such a wonderful man.
I wish we could have been here for the temple dedication - but having a temple here is what made our decision final about moving here to Spokane. Everytime I go to the temple here I will remember Pres. Hinckley.
What a great memory of the prophet. Like your kids, President Hinckley is the only prophet I have known as well. It will be a new experience for me during General Conference in April, but when I heard the news, I actually felt a feeling of peace, knowing that he is where he belongs with Heavenly Father and the "woman of his dreams", Marjorie. Thanks for sharing!
What a neat experience you had. I have never met him, I wish I had. He was an incredible man, whom I will miss deeply. Thank you for sharing your story. :)
I found your blog thru Kristi.
I grew up in the house that is right by the Stake Center. I haven't been back for such a long time. I would love to see the Temple there.
Past the baseball fields there is a little hill that I spent alot of time on as a teen. That was my thinking spot. How wonderful it would be to overlook the Temple in my thinking spot.
Post a Comment