Lily, May 9, 2004, the day we adopted her and gave her the blanket.Three and a half years ago, just days before we were to leave for China a friend showed up on my doorstep with a gift bag in her hand. It was a gift for Lily. I was so touched because this wasn't a super close friend so I was surprised that she was so thoughtful. Inside the bag was a flannel blanket. I had always made flannel receiving blankets for each of my kids. It was one of my favorite things to do when I was nesting. My kids weren't the type to become attached to an object so I really didn't think of making Lily a blanket. She was 16 months old when we adopted her and I felt she was past the stage of needing a blanket. I was so wrong. It is quite traumatic for a child to leave all they know and be placed in the arms of complete strangers with no warning and no transition time. Lily was given to us at a government office and by the time we brought her back to our hotel she was exhausted. Luckily I had packed the blanket and it was waiting for Lily in our hotel room. I wrapped her in it and she instantly fell in love with it. I think it represents so much for her: the day she became part of a family, the day she was wrapped in a mother's love, the day she felt safe.
Now the blanket is two blankets. It is so worn and has become completely tattered. The other day she ripped off a small portion to use as a blanket for her Littlest Pet Shops, the ultimate act of love. She no longer needs it every minute of every day but when she is hurt or upset she cries for her blankie. 
Lily's blankie is the inspiration for the word I want to focus on for 2008: GIVE.
For the past few years I feel that my giving has been focused on my family. Now that the kids are getting older I want to look for opportunities to give to others and involve our whole family in giving. I want giving to be natural for us, not something we have to think about and do as a special project but instead a part of who we are. I realized this past December that we are nowhere near that point. 
A lady I visit teach needed help shoveling her walks . We did this a few times at the beginning of winter when it was snowing a lot and even went one night as a family to do it. A great start but then after Christmas we had several days of snow. I realized one day that i hadn't even thought of this other family and their need. We'd done our little "project" and then we were done with it. I'm hoping we can evolve to a new level of giving in our home, church, community and beyond.

+copy2.jpg)
19 comments:
oh blankies are all over this week!
just posted on michelle's blog about ellie's "lele" and then i pop over to see you posted on lily's blankie.
so sweet the attachment and the security a piece of cloth can give.
both of my girls adore their lele's. i am concerned they may take them to college, at this point! :)
i wanted to mention that i love your word of GIVE.
amazing things in store for your family this year i think
i love your ideas behind the choice.
i look forward to reading about your journey
Ah, this post almost made me cry! So sweet! Thanks for your example Andrea! That picture of Lily the day you adopted her is ADORABLE!
I'm so glad that Lily has a blankie! They represent so much, not the least to show that they can bond! ;o)
My Xuxu has a blankie (she'll turn 12 this month). The original was lost when she was four, but we immediately went to the store, picked out some material and made a new one. The new one is still with her every night, but she is now talking about keeping it under her pillow!
My mom had a missionary in her area that brought his blankie with him! I hope my kids can part with blankie and bumbie by the time they're that age! ;o)
I don't know if you have looked at this blog yet, but here is a blog where a little girl is doing something all year to help others out. It might be a good way to motivate the family.
I love your word for the year...I love the idea of having service be a natural part of who they are verses a "project".
But...you guys already are a very giving family...did I mention how much we are enjoying your "gift" of the Living Scriptures Videos? ;)
Great post!
I love your word GIVE. Very inspirational.
My husband thinks it is very important for our boys to shovel other people's snow. It has been a great learning experience to shovel snow for different people over the years. I really should have my girls out there too!
Ditto Kristin's comment - I can think of NUMEROUS things you and Jason have done for our family. I was especially touch on Sunday when I forgot those posters and you, repeatedly, offered to drive all the way to my house to get them. I think you've got this one down!
I've been thinking along the same path as you about giving. It was great to read your blog and to remember my own thoughts and goals.
Love that Lily gave her blanket to her toys. She has a great heart!!!
Everytime I come to your blog, my girls adoption seems like yesterday! I so wish we were headed to Vietnam for "other" reasons - but at this point it would just be for fun. I remember receiving two fleece blankets from someone I didn't know very well, handmade, and in such cute colors, they've worn these down and still use them to snuggle sometime. It's interesting how much these acts affect our lives. Lily's blanket is such a sweet story, especially, when she gave it to her little pet. Take care and thanks for your sweet post!
I like your idea of choosing a word or phrase to focus on. "give" is a good one.
I couldn't believe your subject for this post because all week I've been preparing to speak in church on Sun. My topic is: The Power to Change". The thing that hit me midweek was to talk about & after Sun, to act on: Volunteering as a family. I've been meaning to do better about this for the 3 yrs. we've lived here, but need to "change" my procrastinating ways & just start! I've been researching ideas for the area we live in & have found some great stuff that I didn't know existed & would be great to do as a family. So funny that we're on the same page this week. Sherri
Jared's had to be sewn together to become one again as well.
Love your word of the year, and what a thoughtful gesture to shovel her walkways. That is a HUGE job.
Jenny :)
You bookgroup ladies are rocking the "word of the year". I hope it would be okay for a former bookgrouper to jump on the wagon too. I'm going to have to give some thought to my special word.
I love this post about service. You are already such an example of that word. I have never seen more service and giving than I did the year I lived by you.
As always, you are making me stretch to keep up with all your spiritual ideas! Glad you keep me strong. :) And arent' blankies supposed to live forever? I wish they did.
I've read this post about five times now and finally have the time to comment. I love Lily's story. I love how much love you have for your daughter and her love for her blankie. She is such a sweet girl.
And I really love your word because it is you. You are a giver and have always included service as part of who you are and I think it's very appropriate.
such a touching post!! My sister is waiting to get her match from China in the next few weeks and then will be off in the next several months to pick her up! I am so inspired by your word for the year and your description. Thanks for sharing!
LOL! My dd who is 18 has a blankie that is in complete shambles but she loves to still play with it (shh! lol) I should take a picture of it, so embarrassing but funny too. :)
thanks so much for popping over today, andrea! i was thrilled to see you! :)
Post a Comment