Monday, January 14, 2008

We've Come A Long Way Baby



We are coming off the greatest weekend of family fun. We ventured up to Chad and Kariann's cabin this weekend for a day of skiing and another day of just letting the kids play in the snow. Unfortunately I have no pictures of the skiing because it was snowing and I didn't want to take my camera out. We had a great day though. Emma and Abbie took a lesson together in the morning and Jason and I hung out with the little kids on the bunny hill. After lunch Jason took off with Emma and Jonah and I stayed with Anna, Lily and Jack. They did so great. Anna and Lily rode the lift together and I rode with Jack. They did great skiing down the hill but really struggled getting on the lift since the ground is flat and they can't move. It was frustrating for all of us. After awhile we were getting tired and cold so I took the kids to the Magic Carpet Ride which is basically a conveyer belt that moves the kids up a short hill. The kids really like this and it's easy and fun. All three got on the belt and for some reason it stopped. The wind was really blowing and snow was accumulating on the belt. When it started back up it jerked a little bit causing Lily to start sliding backwards on the slippery snow. She slid all the way down picking up a lot of speed as she went and taking out Anna and another little boy. It was humorous to watch and I wish I had video taped it.

Saturday we had a great time just playing in the snow at the cabin. The highlight was sledding behind the snowmobile. All the kids LOVED it. We had so much fun. We're grateful to Chad and KariAnn for inviting us to spend the weekend.

Emma and Abbie ready to ride




Jack, Lily and Anna

Jason behind the wheel



Abbie with a cute snowman.


Jason chilling with Jonah and Reese.




Jonah and Reese playing in the snow.



Jason chillin with the kids.



Jonah, Reese and Alec take a ride.

Chad and Jonah take a ride.

Lily, Jack and I take a ride.





So after all our fun in the snow I came home to find out that I had won Kristi's contest sponsored by backcountry.com. This is a great website so check it out. It was a fitting way to finish off my weekend of fun in the snow. To enter the contest you just had to leave a comment stating one of your fitness goals for the year. I commented that I had just taken up skiing again after a 14 year break and planned to ski as much as possible with our family. When we aren't skiing we hope to be snowshoeing. I'm so excited I won and can't wait to use my gift certificate. Thanks Kristi and Backcountry.com

This weekend made Jason and I realize how far we've come. It's definitely been a challenge having three little kids all within 15 months of each other. The past few years have been physically exhausting at times. Two years ago at this time we were heading to Cincinnati for Lily and Jack to have surgery. We spent 17 days in the hospital with Lily and Jack tethered to poles the entire time. Neither one could eat for the duration of our stay which meant we could never eat or drink in front of them. It was an adventure to be sure but one we are glad to have behind us. We're getting the payoff now watching those kids ski all over the mountain.

14 comments:

Anne said...

Andrea, that sounds like so much fun! Isn't it great that the little ones are starting to be able to do so much!

Kelly said...

Looks like so much fun! Also looks a little Brrr!

I guess I've been reading your updates on my google reader and haven't clicked over here for a while so this is my first time seeing your new family picture! That is SO CUTE! Looks just awesome, you must be so pleased.

kappynash said...

Andrea-
What a great weekend! I am glad to see there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Too many kids...not enough arms. I hardly ever leave the house. I miss your beautiful kids they have the BEST smiles!
Have a great day-
Kathleen

andrea said...

Kathleen--great to hear from you. I loved your Christmas card. There is light at the end of the tunnel, you're so close.

Smelly Moose said...

Andrea--How fun! I love the snowmans! We went out to build a snowman a few days ago, but we had waited too long and the snow was all crusty and wouldn't work. Oh well :) Glad you had such a great weekend!

Michelle Alley said...

I am so excited for your self-family realization. It's such an amazing thing you experienced - not everyone gets to have the blessing of adoption in their life. I am so upset that we are having so many issues while living here in Canada regarding adoption. I feel so strongly about it, yet can't do much about it right now - I guess all in good time. Your photos are so wonderful and fun - don't you just love weekends away from it all. I love this post and was so happy to hear about your wonderful win at backcountry!

Lara said...

Your pictures are making me cold! But I am glad you can have some great family fun together!!!!

It really is hard to see how far you have come - and it just keeps getting better.

jenny said...

WHat a cool thing to think how far you have come! I look forward to the day we all can ski together as well.

I need your address so I can send you your prize! email me (texbonedoc@yahoo.com)

Kristin said...

Looks like a fun weekend!! In the dell we called that "pullin'" as in so- and so- is pullin' us around the dell!!

I am green with envy over your backcountry win AND then I saw you won a prize on Jenny's blog too!! You are one lucky girl!!

I love it that your family is so active and loves outdoor sports. I can't believe your little guys are skiing. That is fabulous!!

Don't you love snowshoeing? When we go we bring those tinfoil like reflective blankets and sit on them and bring a picnic. They work great and you don't get wet. You know with us it's all about the food!! ;)

[alisar] said...

It's official. I'm buying a cabin as soon as we can afford one. I suppose that may be after the earth has been anhialated by global warming. Perhaps a cabin on the moon????

Lucy said...

So jealous. I can't believe I missed out on all the ski years. That's something I can do! Sigh.

But you have come a long way baby. Henry had his first speech assessment today so I'm just dancing along here in your old footprints.

Rebecca said...

What a fun weekend trip! It looks like so much fun sledding behind that snow mobile!

patsy said...

You are the most adventurous family I know! You are such a great mom. Sometimes I think lost I my adventurous side after having my six. But not you- you're amazing.
I was thrilled to see you won on Kristi's blog!!

Congratulations on overcoming the stressful times- not that there won't be stressful times in the future - You've just come so far. Way to GO!!

carlo said...

i was so happy to see that you won the contest! that is awesome!

and i love your banner pic, too.

glad you had a fantastic family weekend. the best kind, right?

cjanerun