Thursday, January 03, 2008

Benefits of Being Sick

A family can only function without its mother for so long. So today even though my throat is sore I woke up and said I will be sick no more. Jack and Lily had a hey day yesterday having complete control of the house while I lay on my deathbed. They ate what they wanted and played what they wanted with no consequence. Somehow we made it until the big kids arrived home from school and took them downstairs while I rested. Jason brought home dinner and I felt so much better after eating something.

Fortunately there are some benefits to being sick. During my downtime I read two books. The first was "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane." This is a children's book about a China Rabbit who journeys from owner to owner and along the way learns what it means to love and be loved. I had read a review on this book on another blog so I bought it for Emma for Christmas. She loved it and wanted me to read it. It's definitely a great addition to our library.




Since I was so over rested I decided to read for awhile before I fell asleep. Luckily I got in bed at 9:30 so that gave me plenty of time to read, "Water For Elephants." I ended up reading it in one sitting. It was very well-written and full of interesting facts about circus life. The circus has always horrified me and I'm even more horrified after reading this book. It's really a study on circus life more than anything else. I didn't feel like there was much character development or anything in the novel that made me think deeper. However, It was an entertaining way to read about the circus in the early 20th century and it definitely hooked me.

I never would have been able to accomplish my reading without the aid of my new booklight I bought from Costco. This was such a great purchase. I was able to read without bothering Jason.

9 comments:

Lara said...

Yahoo for books. I don't have a good one to read at the moment and am going crazy!!!!

I hope you are on the mend - there is nothing than being sick when you are a mom!!!!!!!!

Reuel and Ana said...

Ana and I read the Memory keepers daughters that Staci mentioned in her blog a little while ago it was very good. I am sorry you were on your death bed. I guess I should have been more worried about your sick-a-ness. in the book a boy breaks his arm and it reminded me of when you broke your arm. As the doctor was setting you arm you looked at me with such pain that it broke my heart. Now you have your own little tribe, my love for them grows each week. It was so good to see your family on the video. and be able to talk to them. Andrea and Jason, you are doing what the Lord wants you to do. thank you for being such good parents. I hope you recover from you illness and will be able to rule the roost again.
love
ana and dad

[alisar] said...

I'm glad you're on the mend. A sick mom = a disastrous house. Good luck getting things back in gear!

everything pink! said...

fun to catch up on your blog - you and i shop at the same isles from pj's to wrapping paper. which is a good sign they must have my favorite stores in spokane.
happy new year.

Lucy said...

Best part of being sick, in my opinion. I don't enjoy the circus life so didn't full appreciate Water For Elephants. But, it does reel the reader in.

I hope you're feeling better!

Bridget said...

Hope you are feeling better. I feel fine but I plan on getting in my bed tonight soon after the kids go to bed and reading all night.

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Sorry you were so sick. I got it too right before Christmas, but thankfully we enjoyed a ski day before the kids went back to school. Those are getting so much funner now that everyone is on their own and not bawling about the daycare!

Kristin said...

Andrea...I am sorry you are still sick! That is such a bummer. Hopefully your rest will get you back on track. I can't wait for book club. I liked Water for Elephants. I found the whole day to day of circus life in the 30's fascinating. Can't wait to discuss!!

jenny said...

Doug just got us all headlights for reading at night--they are fabulous.

Way to go on the reading--at least there were some benefits eh? Hope you are feeling better.

cjanerun