Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Back to Reality

Yesterday we had a great day skiing with our school age kids while the preschoolers and kindergartner spent the day with a babysitter. It's always hard for me to get back in my groove after a day off and today was no exception. I wasn't vigilant watching Lily and Jack and they were quiet for too long. When I checked on them they were trying to play the Wii and had "played" with some of the boys lego creations. They had also been playing with Jonah's band instrument. We capped it off with a clogged toilet tonight chuck full of what looked like a roll of toilet paper. Hey, at least the little boy wipes.

We made some good strides today as Lily and Jack finally seemed to realize the importance of respecting other's belongings. This has been a hard concept for both of them to grasp and something we've really been working on. Luckily the older kids are so patient. It's complicated to teach this concept to two highly skilled and inquisitive little kids. Lily and Jack spent an hour in their rooms and both seemed sincerely sorry that they had messed with the Wii and the boys' legos. I discussed it with them again at bedtime and they seemed to finally realize that they had crossed the line. Baby steps.

10 comments:

Carolyn said...

After talking to you last night, I thought about how well-adjusted our older children will be as grown ups. When things go wrong (or get broken) they'll be able to shrug it off and not stress out. I think this is another blessing of living in a large family.

Lara said...

I believe in baby steps!!!!

Thanks again so much for taking Halle to gymnastics!!!!!!!!

carlo said...

i know what you mean about back to the groove after a long weekend.

it was afternoon before i realized it was tuesday on tuesday, and not monday as i had assumed.

mom brain...

carlo said...

and can i just say i am in constant amazment over how much you deal with on a daily basis?

aren't you glad you have your blog to document all of the "adventures" after you have forgotten?

love that...

Victoria said...

How fun that you got to go skiing!
It does take time for them to learn boundaries, and respect, keep on working at it, they will do great!

Sorry about the toilet, we just btdt this week! But like you I was glad they wiped! lol

patsy said...

We didn't have school yesterday or Monday. I am really struggling to get back to "normal" we are all off schedule
You are such a great mom~ Carolyn is right - those older kids really do become well adjusted after growing up in a large family. It's amazing the lessons learned from siblings... priceless!

jenny said...

I can't tell you the amount of times I have to remind my little boys to stay away from my older kids stuff. Especially their new gameboys. I think it's great how patient your older kids are with things like that.

Rebecca said...

You are an awesome mom, and so patient!

Michelle Alley said...

It's so hard to teach this to children, my girls are constantly going back and forth with each other and they still don't get it - even when they are the ones that are getting into the others toys.

It's also hard to get back into the groove of daily life, it's so different from the fun and relaxation of being "away from home." Take care Andrea!

Lucy said...

You are an awesome patient mom. Lily and Jack have grown up so much. It must have been satisfying to see some remorse and understanding. Your hard work is paying off!

And your older kids are learning the valuable lessons as well. Win/win! Just ignore the mess along the way, right?

cjanerun