Sunday, April 29, 2007

12 Years











It seems that I keep track of time based on the births of my children. 12 years ago Jason and I were sitting in the commencement ceremony in the Marriott center in the very center of the aisle. Had we been on an end we probably would have left. President Hinckley was speaking but I was timing contractions. We left, went home, got our stuff and headed to the hospital. They sent me back home and I was back the next morning, this time for real. Eli was born at 2:20 in the afternoon. It was such an easy delivery and I thought Eli was the most beautiful thing I had ever laid eyes on.

It's hard to believe that Eli is 12. We surprised Eli with a Wii. He has never asked for it as he thinks it's too unrealistic that his parents would ever buy him one. It makes it that much more fun to give it to him. Yesterday started early since Grandma H. was making buttermilk pancakes for Eli's birthday. I told Eli that since he was 12 he should be more into his clothes so that's what I was giving him for his birthday. He tried to hide his disappointment and was shocked when he opened the Wii. We headed right over to Jason's parents for our breakfast party and from there I ran home to clean the house for Eli's party while Jason took Emma and the rest of the kids to soccer.

Eli insisted on having a home party. I kept trying to talk him into going to a movie or something similar but he was adamant about having a party at home. (I could do an entire post just on Eli's past birthday parties). The great thing about having a 12 year old is they can plan and run the entire party and Eli did just that. It was one of the easiest parties ever and actually relaxing for me since Jason took the three youngest kids swimming and on errands while we partied at home. I talked Eli into doing fondue instead of cake and all his friends liked it.

After the friends left I took the three oldest kids to Red Robin to celebrate the big day. We had so much fun. The little kids were too tired so Jason stayed home and tucked them in. I let Eli pick out a new game for the Wii and then took him to buy a white shirt.

Today right after church Eli was ordained a deacon. Jason's dad and two brothers were able to help Jason ordain him. I wish I would have thought to bring my camera with me to get a shot of all the family members that were there. Very cool for Eli to have such great support. It's perfect timing for him to be in YM since Jason just got called to be a leader.

Happy Birthday Eli!

14 comments:

Kelly said...

I have been waiting all day for this! I can only imagine the thrill of the Wii if he wasn't expecting it. So cool! I used to think I would show Wells Eli's blog and they could become blogging buds like thier moms. But now for sure not until the newness of the Wii wears off will I let Wells know how lucky other kids got this week!

And fondue for the 12th? You guys are geniuses!

Happy Birthday Eli, I know just how your mom felt this week!

Reuel and Ana said...

Yes Eli happy birthday. I love you very much and am very proud that you now hold the priesthood and will be passing the sacrament. that is a very important duty for you to do at this time in your life.
love
Granddaddy Jones

Da said...

Happy Birthday Eli! Congrats on getting the Priesthood! Now, just don't go breaking your dad's TV with that Wii!

Anne

Lucy said...

I love the younger pictures of Eli. I can see him as this ideal little toddler that made you look like perfect parents (not that you aren't. That is a given).

Happy Birthday Eli. You know Jay and I think the world of you.

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Eli!
I can't believe you are 12! I remember the day you were born. In fact I rode my bike to the hospital at 7:00 a.m. so I could be there when you were born. It was such an exciting time! I love you!
Love,
Auntie

Lara said...

What a great day for Eli. I've never seen his baby pictures before - what a cutie!!!!!

Way fun to surprise him like that. Sounds like you all had a fun day.

It is also so awesome to have another priesthood holder in your home. It is hard to think that will happen to us someday - we are still looking forward our first baptism.

jenny said...

Happy Birthday Eli! Very exciting to get a Wii (even though I didn't know what they were up until a few months ago). Hope he had a wonderful day!

Rebekah said...

Happy Birthday Eli! Wow, a Wii! Just don't throw the controller. Love,
Rebekah

Kristin said...

Happy Birthday Eli!! 12 years old...such a milestone!! That must have been such a special moment watching your son receive the priesthood. I will be a blubbering mess when Kameron turns 12.

Great party idea...FONDUE!! That is perfect! I'm glad you all had such a fun day.

I love the pictures of "little" Eli...SO CUTE!

Victoria said...

Happy Birthday Eli! Looks like he had a great day! My ds Kevyn will be 12 next month and is a bit afraid of passing the sacrament but I know he will do well.

We love to fondue too!

carlo said...

Sweet post and love the fondue. What was the pic with all of the candy spread out? lol.

Glad you had a relaxing day!

PS- I love the name Eli. Cassandra/Cassie would have been Elijah/Eli if she had been a boy.

Bridget said...

Have you tried the Wii yet? It is my favorite thing. We love having adult friends over and holding tournaments. We have already turned 3 couples into converts, one of who does not even have kids. Enjoy!

michelle said...

Wonderful. My Max is turning 12 next month and I can hardly believe it! We got our boys a Wii for Christmas and they were the same way, thinking it was way out of their league for a present. Can't believe he's a deacon!

Jay said...

Eli - you are a cool dude. I can't believe you pass the sacrament to me now!

cjanerun