Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A Scary Moment

After a quick trip to Utah we are home at last. We came home through Idaho and stopped to see our friends, Lance and Lani, in Twin Falls, Idaho. We spent the night with them on Monday and hit the road on Tuesday morning. We were about a half hour out of Twin Falls when Jason and I both looked over to the other side of the freeway and saw a small compact car going full speed drive off the freeway and flip over 3-4 times. It happened in a matter of seconds and we were both shaken. Jason immediately dialed 911 and crossed the median to return to the scene. Luckily the first person on the scene was a trained emergency technician. The woman driving the car was thrown from the car and laying on the ground. Luckily she survived but for sure had a broken leg. We both had to write an account for the police of what we saw. She obviously fell asleep at the wheel and drove off the road. We were so grateful that she drove off the side she did instead of straight into our car. Jonah was so concerned for the woman that he suggested we pray for her. We were shaken our whole trip home and I made sure Jason stayed awake. Here's a picture of the accident scene. Notice the bumper in the bushes and clothing hanging from the branches.


I've never witnessed an accident before. There were so many people who stopped but Jason and I were the only people who saw what happened from start to finish. It was so scary, it looked like a crash scene from a movie.


12 comments:

Kelly said...

Very scary. We had a similar experience on our way to New Orleans last December. We were the first on the scene of sadly, a fatal accident. I have never seen a anything as graphic in a movie as we did on the interstate that day. Truly shakes you. Glad you made it home safely. That was a quick trip!

Lucy said...

Wow. I hope your kids were o.k. from seeing that. That is just the sort of thing that would freak Seth out for months and months.

Anne said...

Andrea,

I'm so glad you guys are safe! I hope that the kids are okay and not too shaken up! How sweet that Johan wanted to pray for her! I'm sure that there were angels attending because of his sweet faith!

Anne

Kristin said...

SCARY SCARY SCARY!! I am so glad you guys are home safe and sound!!

Kari said...

Woah!! That's pretty scary!!!
You guys have sure gotten your share of traveling in as of late haven't you? (Especially you, 2 trips to Utah in as many weeks.)

Amy said...

Hope that lady is o.k. Nothing like witnessing an accident to get your blood pressure up!
It was so good to see all of you!

jenny said...

Things like this give me chills!! I have only witnessed a fender bender. That would definitely have me shaking in my boots for a while. I too am glad it was the median and not your car. Isn't it crazy how we are watched over sometimes and at the right place at the right time? Glad you made it home safely.

carlo said...

oh my goodness.

wow...how scary and sad. i don't know what i would do in that situation. i am strong when i need to be but i would have been freaking out inside.

blessings that you were not hurt. how sweet that he suggested prayer. i know that when i feel helpless that helps me to feel better.

glad you are home...

Michelle Alley said...

Andrea - Wow, I'm so sorry you had to experience that. What an ordeal. Grateful that her injuries were not more serious. Hope you are doing well today, home at last! Michelle

[alisar] said...

It was so nice of you to help those people in need, even when you had all of your kids with you. Thank goodness everyone was okay!

Bridget said...

Wow, how frightening! Glad that everyone was relatively okay. That would leave me shaking for awhile. Take care!

Rebecca said...

Wholly cow! I don't think I could ever sleep in a car again after seeing that! I'm glad the woman was okay and that you guys made it home safely.

cjanerun