Sunday, April 08, 2007

He Is Risen!

Fourteen years ago I spent a semester studying abroad in Israel at BYU's Jerusalem Center. One of our traditions there was to spend every sabbath (we honored the Jewish Sabbath on Saturday) in the Garden Tomb, the place where we believe Christ was buried. Sometimes we would wake up early and go before church and other days we would walk there after church. I had many tender moments in this serene, peaceful garden. I return there often in my thoughts and draw strength from the things I learned about the Savior and about myself in the time I spent pondering weekly at such a holy place. It's been fourteen years but every year at Easter I revisit the last week of Christ's life through the images of Israel that are seared in my mind. At the time I felt there was no place on earth where I could draw closer to Christ than in the Holy Land. Of course the past fourteen years have taught me that nothing could be further from the truth. I have found him in the temple, through visiting teaching, through serving in my callings, in my marriage, as a mother, and most profoundly within the walls of a chinese orphanage where the "least of these" are not forsaken nor forgotten by their Lord. On this Easter Sunday I joyfully exclaim, Jesus is the Christ.

11 comments:

Lara said...

Beautiful picture and beautiful words.

Reuel and Ana said...

Thank you Andrea.
love
dad

Lana said...

what lovely thoughts for the day.

Lucy said...

Wonderful testimony. Thank you for sharing it. I hope you had an awesome Easter.

Kelly said...

Yes, thank you Andrea!

carlo said...

i have chills reading this, andrea. your words are beautiful and i couldn't agree more that we are able to see/feel Christ everyday around us...

Happy Easter to you and your lovely family!

jenny said...

Beautiful words Andrea. Doug and I were just discussing the other day how excited we were about it reopening. We definitely would LOVE for our kids to have that opportunity. Since we didn't get it. Happy belated Easter!

Michelle Alley said...

What a beautiful picture - did you take it while you were there?

Thank you for your words on my blog. I can just picture the angels that protected my girls. Thank you for your insight.

Victoria said...

What a neat experience you had, thank you for sharing, that looks like a beautiful and peaceful place.

Kristin said...

You are so blessed that you have been able to spend time in Israel and to see such holy places...I agree that we often find Christ in some of the most unexpected places.

Beautiful post!

[alisar] said...

Can I adopt you as a big sister? I am never around you without feeling uplifted :)

cjanerun