Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Self Portrait Tuesday--Smaller than a deck of cards

This week's challenge is to show & tell one of your most treasured items. the catch is (YES, there is a catch)... it must be smaller than a deck of cards!

I had a few ideas for this challenge but settled on my ipod. I think that the ipod is one of the greatest inventions of our time. Jason bought one about a year after they hit the stores. I thought it was an excessive purchase and never saw the value in it. I was actually totally unimpressed. A couple of years ago we were flying home from Florida and our flight was delayed and we sat on the ground for about an hour. Jason was nice and handed over his ipod to me. I listened to it the entire way home. It was such a quick flight with my handy ipod to listen to.

I now have my own ipod. I listen to all my favorite music, church talks, podcasts. It is so great for traveling, working out, etc. I have so many great memories associated with listening to my ipod when I have been moved, energized or inspired by whatever I was listening to. One memory was while traveling in China to visit Jack before we adopted him. I was so nervous to meet him and didn't know what to expect. I saw on the flight by myself and listened to my ipod the entire flight. I listened to music and it calmed me and prepared me to meet Jack.

18 comments:

everything pink! said...

oh yes. a good one. i bought a pink rubber skin at the dollar store for my nano the other day and so now it adds to my pink items in my home.

Lara said...

I have yet to try an ipod - but now maybe I will have to get one.

Rebecca said...

I also love exercising with it. It distracts me from the pain!

jenny said...

This is the 2nd ipod treasure I have seen today. I must say it makes me want to get my own. Doug and I share his (which means I only get to run with it or use it when he isn't around). Exercising just isn't the same without one of these beauties.

Lucy said...

I was like you in wondering what the big deal was. Now, I'm like...I got to get me one of those!

And I love your mention of a trip in Florida. Aaaaaahhhhhh. Memories.

Amy said...

I've seen your comments here & there, but this is my first visit to your site. I LOVE that family picture. Beautiful!

Bridget said...

Love the iPod. It makes many things so much easier, especially exercise.

Have a great week!

Allison said...

I too love my ipod. Thanks for the comment. You have a beautiful family.

Amberly said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog today. Yours has captivated me for way too long this afternoon! We are waiting to adopt a little navajo baby and I am facinated with your beautiful family. thank you for being willing to share it!

Reuel and Ana said...

I do not have an ipod, I have a creative labs mp3 player. I use it everyday. I do not have much music but I have a lot of talks by Hugh Nibley and the scriptures on it. As I am doing work I can listen to the scriptures and I even got earplugs that wrap around my ears so they do not fall out. but I think the most important invention is the internet, xexrox machine and the compture. I can not even imagen what my life would be like without them.
love
dad

carlo said...

love, love, love my ipod, too!

good one!! from workouts to grocery store to starbucks i use mine all of the time.

yay for technology!

Kelly said...

I thought of you this morning when I was exercising because the battery went out on my ipod and I didn't know what to do with myself!

A great invention indeed! Can't wait to see what they come up with next that will make my life easier.

[alisar] said...

I don't have my own, but I consider myself a partial owner of my husband's. There's nothing like slipping on a good pair of headphones and listening to good music, a book, or whatever. I totally agree!

Kristin said...

I love the ipod!! One of my favorite things to do (you know my inherent noisy nature) is to look at people's play lists...VERY REVEALING!! ;)

Unknown said...

Hey Andrea!! I didn't realize you had a blog! Now I can keep up on all the excitement! Miss you guys!

amy gretchen said...

I too love my ipod. It has certainly changed the way I listen to music.

Amanda :-) said...

I don't have an iPod, but I agree entirely that music can do wonders for psyching you up or calming you down. It's funny that you were anti-iPod in the beginning and then came around to it! It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, isn't it?

Michelle Alley said...

I've missed some of your posts! My IPod is just now being appreciated and I'm just now seeing the advantages to having one with me at all times. My favorite place to use it is when I'm shopping by myself - it's great.

cjanerun