Saturday, May 26, 2007
When Cancer Rears Its Ugly Head
I've always been aware that life happens. We go along day to day knowing that one morning we could wake up and everything has changed. This is what happened to a friend of mine recently. She went in for her routine mammogram and pap smear and discovered that she has breast cancer. On Thursday she had a masectomy. She's relatively young and at one point in my life was a mentor to me. She's about a generation ahead, her youngest is a year younger than my oldest. Due to being busy and at different stages of life I haven't sat down with her and chatted for about a year. I heard about her cancer earlier this week and couldn't believe it. Last night I got to spend a couple of hours with her and found myself teary eyed several times as she recounted the story to me. She kept it real and let me know how awful certain aspects of this trial are to her. She is full of faith and perspective and our conversation inspired me to live life a little fuller and without regret.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

+copy2.jpg)
15 comments:
I'm glad you went to visit her. What a trial for their family. I am keeping her in my prayers.
I am so gratefull that we have the gospel in times like these. Having been through my share of these things, I am grateful each day for the blessing of the Lord in my life.
love
dad
No fun for sure. All the best to her.
I am sure she was so glad you were there for her. How awful and such a sad event. I will be praying for her as well.
Hi, it's Julie P. That is so scary! You're so spiritual, I bet you really helped her. You're a good friend to have around in hard times. I'm pulling for her kids. They sound too young to have a sick mom.
I heard today that the prognosis is good, which I'm sure is such a relief to her family. I'm glad you got to visit with her, you have a way of lifting others spirits.
Oh that would be a real trial!!! I hope your friend is able to beat her cancer!!
I'm so sorry to hear this news. Cancer is one of those things that, like you said, just rears its ugly head. There's not a whole lot you can do to protect yourself from breast cancer, and not a whole lot you can do to prepare yourself for the possibility. I'm sure she will appreciate having a friend like you through this difficult time.
Hi Andrea. I found your blog from Jenny's. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Cancer is such a scary thing to deal with. She will be in my thoughts.
Hugs, that is hard. My neice has thyroid cancer and just went through surgery and now soon radiation, my dh's cousin just had a double masectomy 3 days ago for her breast cancer and his aunt has cancer in her lungs that has spread. Cancer is ugly and you just never know, but you are right-live life now to it's fullest!
Prayers to all who are suffering.
Cancer is such a nasty word. I see it every day, but it never gets easier or nicer.
But faith and friends can!
It is a real shocker when it happens to someone you know. I'm glad you could be there for her. She is also someone I greatly look up to.
I am so sorry. I will keep her in my prayers. Life can sure sneak up on you sometimes.
i am thankful you wrote this. big hugs to your friend.
wow. cancer is so evil and everywhere. good that she has you and other good friends at this trying time.
Post a Comment