
So, I've decided to join Lucy, Kelly and Kristin in the virtual book club. Maybe I'll be more successful here than I am in my own book group. I was so inspired by Lucy's rapid fire pace in reading 50 books and hope to accomplish the same thing.
I have had this recurring dream over the years that Jason and I are together but not married. We have our kids and our life except we aren't official. The dream always ends with him saying he will marry me and I'm always relieved when I wake up and realize that it was only a dream.
In Waiting by Ha Jin, a life together without marriage is the topic of the book. Jin, a military trained doctor has left his village of old China and its traditions to go to the big city and the new China of the cultural revolution. He has a wife back in Goose Village that his parents picked out for him who, although a young woman, appears old and homely. Shuyu, the wife, has bound feet and long hair that she wears in a bun. They have a daughter together but have not "loved" (slept) together for years. Lin only returns to the village for a few weeks during the summer.
Lin is not a lustful man but over time he falls in love with a fellow nurse, Manna Wu at the hospital. They are never sexually involved since it is prohibited by the norms of the cultural revolution. Instead, every summer for 18 years Jin asks Shuyu for a divorce and she is never able to go through with it. After 18 years he can divorce Shuyu without her consent. He sends for Shuyu and sets her up with a job at a factory and an apartment.
This book is an intersting study of Chinese culture during the turbulent Cultural Revolution. I've always been a fan of Chinese literature and was surprised I hadn't heard of the author or the book. It was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize and has won several literary awards.

+copy2.jpg)
10 comments:
You have certainly caught my interest in the book. I can't imagine life being like that.
I too have had dreams where Chris and I were not legal. Reality is much better.
Great review debut! I have never hear of this author either. Chinese literature and history frustrates me as much as it fascinates me. I just want people to stand up for themselves. I know that isn't the culture and it os a good thing that the whole world is not just like me, but frustrating!
Looks like a good read though. Thanks for the review!
I always appreciate Lucy's summary on books. Yay for another virtual book club!
Have you ever read Wild Swan? Our bookclub read it a year ago and said it was wonderful. I didn't pick it up, but have it. I think it's about a young girl in China--don't mark me on that one.
Let me know if you haven't and I will send it your way. (I don't for see me reading it any time soon).
Solid work! It is definitely going in my on deck pile. Thanks!
I have had that dream a million times and I wake up feeling SO bad about all the extra marital sex I've had over the past 8 years...
Then I realize I am actually still married.
Phew.
The book looks good. Thanks for the suggestion.
ps - i am assuming you have read "The Good Earth" ?? It is one of my favorites, along with East of Eden, which I see you love too.
Hhm, sounds like a good book, I'll have to look for it next time.
oh what is the virtual book club? is this something i missed while in celebration alley??? do tell??
Thank you for sharing, and good luck on the book club.
I am so glad you are doing book reviews too! You read some interesting books and I am excited to hear about them. This one sounds intriguing.
Post a Comment