Mother's Day 2004 found me waking up in a hotel room in Beijing, China full of excitement and anticipation. Finally the day we'd been waiting so long for had arrived. In February of 2004 I had discovered that Lily was on our agency's waiting child list. This list is reserved for children born with medical conditions and they are placed on various adoption agency lists. Our agency had five children listed and Lily was one of them. She was listed as having imperforate anus and I had no clue what that meant or what it would come to mean in our future. All I knew was that she was my daughter and had she been born to me I would have accepted her medical condition and done everything possible to help her.
We boarded a flight from Beijing to Guangzhou in Southern China. My stomach was in knots I was so excited. Our facilitator gave me a silk scarf and wished me a Happy Mother's Day. We checked into our hotel and rested for a bit and then left to be united with our daughter. I knew when I walked out of that hotel room I would return a different person.
When she walked into the room at the Civil Affairs building my heart melted and there was such a sense of familiarity between us. Lily was scared and unsure but I felt that she instantly became ours as if she had been waiting all along for us to come and get her.
President Hinckley has said, "When you save a girl, you save generations. She will grow in strength and righteousness. She will marry in the temple. She will teach her children the ways of truth. They will walk in her path and similarly teach their children."
This is what I felt that day in China 3 years ago as I held a frail child in my arms. Mother's Day for me will always be linked with this event.
Sunday, May 13, 2007
Mother's Day 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

+copy2.jpg)
17 comments:
what a sweet memory.
love
dad
Happy Mother's Day. I can't believe it has been 3 years since you got Lily! What a gift! You are such a wonderful mother and all six of your kids are so lucky to have you!
I can barely type through my tears. I was especially touched by Jason's reaction. Thank you for another wonderful reminder of how amazing it is to be a parent.
Happy Mother's Day!
Oh Andrea! That is the best! Happy Mother's Day and congratulations all over again three years later to your beautiful daughter and her siblings.
Beautiful. You are motherhood. Thanks for sharing.
What a special Mother's Day that must have been! Thanks for sharing it. You are an amazing mom!
Such a blessing Andrea. You have truly changed her life for the better. Happy Mother's Day!!
Wow Andrea! That was beautiful! I love the quote from Pres. Hinckley! Can you believe its been three years?
Anne
I second the motion...what a great memory!
These kids are ours... strange that they started a world away from us.
Thanks for sharing the great video. That will be important to Lilly one day, eh!
This video is priceless. I was so touched by the emotions expressed by bringing a family together. Lily is such a beautiful girl - it is so wonderful that you found her and brought her home where she belongs.
WOW!!!
You have definitely touched and changed more than a few lives. I count myself lucky to know you.
Andrea - Wow, so many memories of my own. I've been struggling with our adoption, since it's not going as smoothly as I would like, but reseeing what it's like at the meeting process, gave me some new strength. What a beautiful moment, I need to go get some tissue now! Thanks Andrea :-)
That was fantastic, so touching. Lily is a lucky girl.
Andrea, that is a great video, I love it.
oh what a post. touching. tears. you summed it up perfectly andrea...
I cried watching that! Eli sat on my lap and watched it with me. He loves Lily, she is one of his best friends!
ok NOT FAIR! there was not kleenex warning provided on this post!
i can barely type.
I loved watching that video, i loved seeing your sweet husband wipe away his tears and seeing her lean into him when he first held her, i loved seeing that perma grin on your face that no one can even fake if they tired. what a tender moment, it just gets me down inside where i didn't even know i could be get.
this video does two things for me:
1. reminds me there is good to blogging and seeing things i would never have seen before and find feelings i have never had
2. i am moving to spokane and buying your neigbors home. your love and energy is catchy!
Post a Comment