Friday, March 09, 2007

Service With A Smile

Sometimes it is really hard for me to serve others. When it's my own idea I have no problem but when it's not my idea I have a bad attitude. This week I was able to help two of the ladies I visit teach. One was out of town having surgery and I took her family dinner. I could not believe that her husband could not take care of dinner. Seriously, is that hard to pop something in the oven?? But when I got to their house I was greeted by the whole family and they were so excited to see me. This is a family who doesn't show much enthusiasm or emotion so I was surprised by their sincere gratitude and happiness that I had brought them dinner. It made it all worth it.

Another lady I visit teach always wants me to have her daughter over for a playdate. For some reason I resist and I've made up various excuses. I've even told myself that my kids don't need another friend. How wrong I am. We had her over today and she and Lily got along great. I've been worried lately that Lily doesn't have a lot of friends her age. She usually plays with Anna's friends. Here, right in front of our noses, is a little friend for Lily and I'm too arrogant to see it.

Why is it that I think if I serve others I'm giving something up? Instead today I have been blessed with a new playmate for Lily. The kids are, for the first time all week, playing peacefully and contently and I'm able to whip my house into shape for a party I am having tonight. I think I've gotten more today than I was able to give.

11 comments:

Jay said...

Andrea - I've seen you quietly serve many people on many occasions. I think sometimes you don't even think of it as service, it is just your nature.

Reuel and Ana said...

My dear Andrea
I really enjoy your blogs. You are able to open up and admit your shortcomings and when you are in the service of your fellow man you are in the service of your God. There is nothing like serving others. I remeber the time your mother and I were able to serve one family when his mother died. your mother helped with the widow all night and all i did was be there but it changed our whole realationship with that man. he had been cool before but afterward he was very warm toward us. i love you
Dad

Betina said...

Hi Andrea,
Funny that I found your blog, I was searching for adoption blogs and yours came up. I thought...hmmm, Jason, Andrea, 6 kids, this sounds rather familiar.

Since I feel like I already know you it will be fun to see your family on your blog.

:)Betina (Kelly's friend)

Betina said...

PS - about service, a while ago I was bringing dinner to someone and I was being really lame about it, you know, that "grudgingly of necessity" kind of giver. As we pulled into the driveway Eden (my 4 year old) said, "Hey Mom, bringing dinner to her is serving her!".

I was reminded that no matter how much something may seem like a chore, it is always best to do the right thing. A light went off in Eden's head that day about helping other people. This is a lesson I really want her to learn! I am just glad she could not see my lame-o heart about the matter. Needless to say, my heart changed and I was thankful for the opportunity.

angie said...

Thanks for your comment! I am glad to have found your blog and it's always fun to meet people you have things in common with. That is awesome that you work with Love Without Boundries and got to go over!! I have had my eye on them for a year or so now and they do such great work! Your family is beautiful! It will be fun to get to know you better!

Rebecca said...

I know what you mean about feeling like you are giving up something, at times, when you serve. Time? Sanity? I think we all feel that way sometimes. Thanks for the reminder that when we serve we are getting something out of it too.

jenny said...

I would have to say I do that more often than I would like to admit. Good for you for serving. I had a similar experience with dinner once. I thought how hard really is it for the husband to make a meal. I felt so lame complaining about it (to Doug) after she went overboard thanking me for making her dinner.

Great post and good luck with the party!

Lara said...

You are way cool, Andrea! You are always serving others - it is just a part of who you are but way to go for going the extra 10 miles. I feel the same way sometimes.

Carolyn said...

I can think of so much service you've given me over the years. My favorite is the baby shower you did for Natalie. I still remember the big lasagne you made and how fun it was to just relax and have dinner with friends. You're the best. So excited for our new adventure.

Kristin said...

We just had a talk in Church yesterday on giving "loving" service! When I give service it's not always so loving...until it is over with and then I feel great! I need to working on having that "loving feeling" before, during, and after! :)

everything pink! said...

i just wanted to tell you i went to our Stake Primary training and thought of you the whole time. I took photos just for you and am posting them on my blog, it is midnight here so they should be on in the morning.

great post.

your family photo is seriously the best.

cjanerun