Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Lights, Camera, Action! Self Portrait Tuesday


Ok, so I cheated a bit and had a passerby take my picture, but I needed to in order to get the full location in the shot. Spokane, Washington isn't exactly a big location town for shooting movies. In 1993 Benny and Joon starring Johnny Depp was shot here but other than that we're pretty boring.


This giant Radio Flyer slide is located in downtown Spokane in Riverfront Park. I once saw it featured in a magazine advertisement so that's my claim to fame. While we aren't well known for movies we do have lots of fun events and they all revolve around Riverfront Park. Here are some highlights:



  • In 1974 Spokane was the location of the world's fair and Riverfront Park as we know it was created.

  • Every year for the past 31 years Spokane has hosted a 12K race called Bloomsday. Every year more than 50000 runners and walkers participate. It is huge and the whole city trains together.

  • Spokane is also home to Hoopfest, the nation's largest 3 on 3 basketball tournament.

20 comments:

carlo said...

that is my fave spt pic today! i had to really look to find you in the pic.

my girls would love to take pics in that wagon. how fun...

Lucy said...

Look at you! Um...can I just say ditto?;)

Jill said...

That's hilarious!

Anne said...

That is awesome, I love it!!

everything pink! said...

great!

i had bought my four cent stamps with the cool chippendale chair because i was going to put them in a small matted frame to send to my family with the no empty chairs theme, it would be perfect for your primary theme, you could make the cool embroidered chair back covers for each ward (lots of work, maybe give them the pattern) you could make easy smeasy a white baptism chair cover to give to each ward to the have the child that was baptized sit in the following Sunday of their baptism (you can make these with a withe pillowcase and white ribbon)

ok i must stop, i seriously have a problem!!!

jenny said...

That is a SERIOUS wagon. Very cool. Hey Spokane maybe a great place to visit that 12K sounds fun.

Amy said...

Cute Picture Andrea! I learned something new. I never knew that Benny and Joon was filmed in Spokane....

amy gretchen said...

That is a huge radio flyer. I think spokane is a cool city. I love the riverfront trail how it goes all the way into ID.

Misty said...

Aren't they shooting a movie downtown right now? There were directors and cameras all over by the caurosel last week. Anyway, nice pic! We love that wagon!

Lara said...

Great picture - you captured Spokane!

Unknown said...

i love hearing about all of your riverfront park activities. i am really intrigued by everyone training together!!

that wagon is so cool!

melanie said...

I love Riverfront Park and sadly do not get there enough. Of course you had to cheat, we all needed to see the whole wagon! I must think of a time I can get the kids up there this spring, they would love it now that they are a little older. Love it!

Victoria said...

What a big wagon! lol! Cool

Anonymous said...

Love the wagon - we usually visit the wagon when we go to Spokane - the kids love it!

[alisar] said...

I love the picture! You look like the hot mama you are. BTW, I loved sitting together at book group last night, just being near you sends good vibes my way.

Michelle Alley said...

Andrea - It was great to get caught-up on your blog! We've only driven through Spokane - I had no idea the wagon was their. Love the family picture you added - really cute!

Price Cream Parlor said...

I love it! I think that this is the coolest thing ever! Thanks for sharing! I would have never known it was there - if I ever get up to that part of the country - I am so going down that slide!

Syd said...

So fun!! We have a huge tire here in Detroit, but that is way more fun (and cuter)!! Great self portrait tuesday!!

carlo said...

ok, i know it has been 2 days but i can't get enough of this wagon! :)

carlo said...

now that i realize you are in spokane i thought about you when the NCAA games started!

cjanerun