Thursday, March 22, 2007

Salt Lake Trip




I've been gone the past two days in Salt Lake to attend the Primary Open House. Not only is this a great way to get great ideas for my calling but it's a great way to get a little break from my normal life. To make things even better one of my good friends, Carolyn, was just barely called as my 2nd counselor and was able to go with me. Of course it was SO much work getting ready to leave the kids. Jason had too much work to do to take the time off so I practically killed myself getting things ready for a babysitter to come to the house and watch the kids. But it was all worth it when we landed in Salt Lake. I quickly forgot my worries about home and started having fun.




My sister picked us up at the airport and took us to pick up their extra car so we could go shopping. Their extra car is an H2 and we were quite the sight driving it slowly through the streets (and parking garages) of Salt Lake. Our first stop was Costco for some discount Shade. We found it to be a terrible selection as it was very picked over. But we dug until we found what we wanted. Then we headed downtown. We stopped by the Primary Resource Room for ideas and fell in love with the giant scriptures. They were made out of vinyl like you can buy at the fabric store and our hope it to recreate them on a smaller scale. Next we headed to the Gateway to shop. We tried several stores and finally found success at Ann Taylor Loft. It was so nice to shop without children. We wanted to see the Joseph Smith movie so we headed back to Temple Square for the 9:00 pm showing. After that we headed back to my sister's house and fell right to sleep.




We were up early the next morning and headed back downtown for our meetings. The morning flew by. The highlight of the day for me was a panel discussion by the three auxilliary presidents. I literally wept through the whole thing as these amazing women shared personal stories from their lives. It was the same feeling I get from reading blogs as I realize that we, as women, struggle with the same things as we raise our kids, do our callings, serve in our communities, etc. I am sure it will be published on the church website at some point. We also attended a great workshop on the Faith in God program that we will use for our upcoming leadership meeting. After the meetings we shopped at the distribution center for supplies. We then headed back to my sister's house and for some reason (um, actually carolyn and I were talking) I got lost. We made it to the airport just in time.




We had a four hour layover in Boise. Lucky for us, one of our bookgroup buddies had just moved to Boise. She picked us up at the airport and we went to dinner at the cheesecake factory. On our flight from Boise there were only a handful of people. We got home earlier than we thought. My boys were waiting up for me and Jonah said, "I'm glad you came back mom!"


Tonight we made a rare public appearance at the school for Eli's 6th grade music production. We had not taken the entire family to any school event this year but ventured out for this one because Jonah and Emma gave it such rave reviews. They were able to see the dress rehearsal earlier today. The kids were all entertained and Jack made it to the middle of the last song and then he was done. It was so fun to see all the kids that Eli has been with since kindergarten as big 6th graders. Eli loves chorus and has come a long way from his kindergarten and first grade days when he didn't sing in the music nights. I'm amazed at how he has grown right before my eyes.

15 comments:

Lara said...

Andrea- looks like you had a fabulous trip!!!!! Loved all the pictures and I'm glad you had Carolyn to enjoy the trip with.

Carolyn said...

I had such a fabulous time! It was well worth the hard work it took to get out of town. It was even worth the hard work it took today to "pick up the pieces!"

I'll go Hummer driving with you anytime!

Rebecca (Andrea's sister) - if you're reading this . . . thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Reuel and Ana said...

Looks like a fun time. Did you get to see Jethro and Staci?
love
dad

Michelle Alley said...

I'm so glad you had a little me time! It sounds like it was a great experience. Thanks for sharing!

Kristin said...

OK...I AM SERIOUSLY JEALOUS!!! That looked like so much fun. I love all the pictures. That one of Carolyn is SO CUTE!

There is discount Shade at the Costcos in Utah? Any one in particular? I am going in June and I will have to stock up.

I'm so glad you got to see Chrys! How's she doing?

Sounds like a great trip! I might have to stow away on the plane next year!! :)

Jay said...

I laughed and laughed when Jason told me you and Carolyn were cruising around Salt Lake in a Hummer!!!

Hopefully you didn't have any road rage incidents, but I'm sure you could have run anyone over if you did!

Lucy said...

I love how much you love and appreciate the primary open house. Your enthusiasm serves our stake well. And now that Carolyn is getting trained, all the little people can rest assured that it will remain in good hands.

Fun trip. Of course I'm jealous though:)

Kelly said...

Wow! Talk about job perks, I only get to go as far as Roundtable with my calling! :)

Looks like fun and rejuvenating, what a great trip!

Kari said...

Sounds like you had a fun and productive trip!!

I'm just reading your blog for the first time and I can't believe you have 6 kids, you don't look old enough!!! And we used to live in Spokane. It was great, we miss it!!

Hope you have a great week!

[alisar] said...

Wow Andrea - I am so happy for you and Carolyn! A little get away can do wonders! And what a treat to get to go with Carolyn. You two must have been quite a sight thundering around in an H2. That really should be the next "mini-van" for us soccer moms.
Can't wait to hear more about what you learned.

jenny said...

What a fun getaway. Glad to see and hear about your fabulous trip!! Love the hummer :)

Amy said...

Andrea,
You and Carolyn look great! Sounds like you had a great time. Can't wait to see you next week.

carlo said...

now that is the way to spend a layover!!!! :)

it is so difficult to prepare for a trip but so worth it, as you said...

glad it was fun. cute sister pics!

Victoria said...

Sounds like a great trip! Glad you got that time away-what a fun car to drive too! :)

Anonymous said...

You should have called me! We could have had lunch! :)

cjanerun