Monday, March 12, 2007

Happy Birthday Emma

Yesterday, March 11, was Emma's 7th birthday. I can't believe it's been seven years since she was born. After having two boys I really wanted a girl with my third pregnancy. I joke that I willed her to be a girl since I was buying girl clothes from the moment I conceived. Emma has been all girl and so much fun. She is a huge help to me with her younger siblings and does a great job playing with them and keeping them entertained, especially Jack. She is a lot like me and keeps me on my toes. She is highly organized (unlike me) and very particular about everything. She has a fiery personality and has been very opinionated about her wants since day one. However, she is my best sleeper. She slept through the night at only a few weeks old and still will not get out of bed once we tuck her in.


Since she was stuck with a Sunday birthday this year the celebration started on Saturday and finally ended tonight. Saturday was my mom's birthday so we had a combined birthday party. Jason's parents made buttermilk pancakes (our kids favorite Grandma treat) for dinner. Then we went bowling. My mom had a great time and got the highest score. Emma loved it too. Such a fun family activity with lots of loud music to diffuse our loud family.


Yesterday we started the day at 7:30 (due to daylight savings time) and headed to church. I gave Emma the option of opening her presents when we got home from church but she declined and decided to wait until the grandparents arrived. Jason and I indulged in a nap with the littlest kids while the others played. Emma requested chicken and mashed potatoes for dinner and I was grateful for the easy birthday dinner. My mom brought the cake and it was nice to not have to worry about dessert. Emma got spoiled with more Littlest Pet Shops for her collection and all the kids had a fun time playing with them until bedtime.

Today was the big birthday bash with Emma's friends. Emma is very picky about her birthday party and always wants to plan the details. She ended up being pretty mellow about this party. We did a bead craft and made little geckos and then played the candy bar game. The party flew by and before I knew it the parents were arriving to pick up their children. Jason took the younger kids to the YMCA so we could party uninterrupted. Emma had such a great time that the day of preparation was worth it. No matter how simple I try to keep it it still takes all day to get ready.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Emma! What a weekend of partying! :) Andrea, I love the cake you made. Seriously, when all the kids are grown you should get into cake decorating. You have always done such a great job. I love all the pictures they are so cute. I can't believe how much Emma and Jonah look alike. Can't wait to get my hands on the kids in a couple of weeks while we are all in SLC!

jenny said...

That cake is too cute! Happy Birthday Emma. Sounds like a great weekend of festivities.

P.S. I will have to ask Dean and Kathy about you guys when they get back.

carlo said...

too sweet! i love the post and what a happy little girl she must be!

love the cake, too.

Kristin said...

Happy Birthday Emma!! I love all the pictures of her. So cute! It looks like her party was a hit. Sounds like a great weekend.

P.S. I LOVE the cake too. Was the ribbon a fruit roll-up?

Lara said...

Wow - how do these kids grow up so fast? It was fun to see Emma's photos and remember what she was like when we moved to Spokane. Sounds like you planned a great weekend for her. Hope you all had fun - and recovered from it all.

everything pink! said...

happy brthday!

i love the cake i saw that in family fun this month and thought i may make that for our birthday child at the end of the month

angie said...

She's a cutie! they grow up WAY too fast!

Carolyn said...

The cake turned out perfectly - what a great idea! I can't believe how much Emma has changed through the years. What a cutie pie! I saw her at school on Monday and wished her a happy late birthday.

Rebecca said...

I love all of the pictures of Emma. The cake was adorable. Hannah had a great time!

cjanerun