Sunday, February 25, 2007

By Prayer and Fasting

Ealier this week I got my March issue of the Ensign in the mail. One of the first articles I read was about a family with an autistic son named Joshua. The biggest challenge for this family was that their son lost his ability to speak around the age of two. The mother recounts that one day she was reading in the New Testamant in Mark about the miracle of Christ healing a deaf and dumb boy. I was struck by how she applied these scriptures to her life as she realized that fasting could help her son. The family began to fast for their son and over time he regained his speech.

17 And one of the multitude answered and said, Master, I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit;

18 And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not.

19 He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me.

20 And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming.

21 And he asked his father, How long is it ago since this came unto him? And he said, Of a child.

22 And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us.

23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

25 When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.

26 And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him: and he was as one dead; insomuch that many said, He is dead.

27 But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose.

28 And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we cast him out?

29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

Fast forward to today. I attended the last ward conference of the year in our stake. I must admit that I really enjoy attending the various ward conferences. The biggest bonus is that I am able to sit by myself and soak in every word. The bishops and stake president always give fabulous talks and my selfish self loves that I get so much out of the meeting. The stake president gives the same talk every ward conference with a few twists. He has told the story found in Mark several times but today, after having read the story in the Ensign, it hit me with such force.

Fasting is one thing that I need to improve. I think all those years of being pregnant and nursing made me a lazy faster. I do it every fast Sunday but sometimes it is very half-hearted. Today, reflecting on the words in Mark made me realize the power of the fast. How many things I could change in my life if I took full advantage of fasting with a purpose.

11 comments:

Victoria said...

Thank you for this post, I too always need a reminder and to see it in a different perspective. What great faith that Mother has, very humbling. Thank you

KariAnn said...

Andrea, you're so right. I know exactly what you mean about becoming a lazy faster. I've actually joked that my favorite thing about being pregnant is that I don't have to fast. But think of the power it could really have in our lives! Great story, thanks.

Lucy said...

I'm going to start calling you inspirational friend. Again...thanks for being uplifting.

Kristin said...

I was just reading that very story in Mark about two weeks ago. I was praying for guidance and that chapter in Mark struck me with such power.

"Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth"...

"And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting".

That hit me like a ton of bricks!!
Fasting has such power that I rarely tap into. Thanks for reminding me again.

Kristin said...

OH--I forgot to tell you. Your finds ARE fabulous!! ;)

Carolyn said...

I love this post! I use to find myself fasting because "I'm suppose to," but someone said in a conference talk awhile ago that if you're fasting without a purpose you're just starving yourself. That really changed my perspective. And, your post really reinforced the importance of the fast. You're awesome!

Lara said...

Andrea, you always seem to have these substantial topics to blog about. I really appreciate the perspective. Fasting is certainly one of those gospel principles that is so easy to take for granted, but so real and powerful if we remember to use it right.

jenny said...

Great post Andrea. I have really become lazy over the years with fasting. I have used the pregnancy and nursing excuse too. Wonderful story...thanks for posting it :)

Reuel and Ana said...

Dear Andrea
it is so nice to read your blogs. I want to tell you how much you have grown since you have been married. Thank you.
love
dad

[alisar] said...

Have you ever been somewhere and heard something that you'd heard many times before - but all of a sudden it sounded fresh and new? That's how your post was for me. Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca said...

Your timing is perfect! After reading your post I realized this Sunday is Fast Sunday, and that I still have time to pray about what to fast for so I can do it with more purpose.
Thanks.

cjanerun