Monday, November 20, 2006

Operation Christmas Child


This year we decided to start a new family tradition in honor of Jack's adoption anniversary. It comes at such a great time of year because it's the perfect way to kick off our holiday season. I really wanted to do something special to honor Jack on his special day and as I was thinking about it I came across Operation Christmas Child on the internet. It's very simple. You fill a shoebox with gifts for needy children and Operation Christmas Child delivers them to children around the world. We went shopping for the items on Jack's Gotcha Day Anniversary and I dropped the boxes off today. Our kids were in heaven shopping for the other kids. It made them really happy to think of the children who will one day receive these gifts. This project has a special place in my heart since Lily spent her first Christmas without a family and Jack spent two Christmases without us. Today I was organizing my Christmas stuff and I got all weepy thinking of all the children who miss out on the magic of Christmas.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

What a fantastic idea!! That is a great way to kick-off the holidays!

Lucy said...

I think it is such a great idea. I need to get some information from you because it would be a wonderful tradition to do each year.

cjanerun