Thursday, November 02, 2006

Laundry Day
Last January my friend Lisa approached me and asked me if I needed any help cleaning my house. All her kids are in school full time and she was looking for a way to earn a few extra bucks. I really didn’t want a housecleaner because my problems aren’t the actual cleaning and scrubbing but the organization of my household. I am so overwhelmed by things like laundry that I decided her efforts would be better focused in the laundry room. So once a week Lisa comes to my house and we do laundry for four hours. Sometimes she has time to mop my floors too but today it was pure laundry. I usually wash everything before she comes and then we spend her time folding and putting away. Sometimes I leave but I prefer to stay and help because the two of us can get so much done in four hours. I swear today we did over 20 loads of laundry. I washed and dried at least 10 while she was here and I had at least that many done before she came. It is amazing the amount of laundry 8 people can generate when you include sheets, towels and clothing. I decided today that we would do it all the way. There would not be one thing left in the laundry room, every sock would have a match, everything in it’s place. At the same time I cleaned out all the kids closets and organized things in their bedrooms. I also had Lisa help me hang a few things on my walls that have been stashed in the laundry room for almost a year. It feels so good to be done. I should have taken a picture of the pile of laundry. The sad thing is that by the time the kids go to bed tonight I will probably have another two loads to do. Can’t wait for Lisa to come again next week.

3 comments:

jenny said...

I need a laundry helper! That is seriously my biggest pet peeve. I HATE laundry. Do you really just do it once a week? The reason I ask is because i feel if I don't do at least two loads we are DROWNING in it. I bet it felt good to get so much accomplished.

Lucy said...

I can't even imagine your laundry woes. I wish I could do some every day and stay on top of it but I dislike it so much that I end up doing it all in one day. maybe, just maybe that is why I hate it so much:)

Glad you have Lisa. We have similar styles!

andrea said...

I still do at least one load a day, I just don't fold and put away. I save that part for Lisa. I am very particular about sorting my laundry so I prefer to do that part myself. I just can't seem to complete the task.

cjanerun