Friday, November 03, 2006

Ebay

Hi, my name is Andrea and I’m addicted to ebay. Yes, I have a problem and I know it. It all started in December of 2001 when I became a registered ebay user. I was so scared to make my first purchase but I heard that one could buy Pottery Barn items on ebay at a discounted price so I gave in. My first purchase was a king size Pottery Barn Eliza quilt. That led to purchases of many other Pottery Barn items and the rest is history. One time I purchased some cute Pottery Barn curtains for my girls’ bedroom and realized that I had bought the wrong size. I figured if one could buy things on ebay, then one could also sell them. I sold those curtains for $12.00 more than I bought them and I was hooked on selling. Soon I was scouring the house to see what other useless items I could sell. It was awesome. Now I sell all my kids’ outgrown clothing every season and usually make enough to outfit them for the next season.

After we adopted Lily I decided to do a benefit auction titled Operation Clothe The Naked. This idea was based on Matthew 25:31-40. The idea came to me one day when I received a phone call from another adoptive mom telling me of a little Chinese orphan girl who had a tumor in her stomach and desperately needed surgery. Because Lily had surgery while in China I had mentioned previously to this woman my desire to pay it forward and sponsor another child for surgery. I decided to do the auction in honor of Lily with the hope that another child could be healed. I solicited donations from friends and family and the auction made over $3000.00. All the money was donated to Love Without Boundaries, my favorite charity for helping Chinese Orphans. Now Love Without Boundaries has their own ebay store and I just spent the day listing some items for their latest auction. Click Here to check it out.

Do any of you shop/sell on ebay? What do you like to buy? Before I make any major purchase I always check first to see if I can find it on ebay for cheaper. I just bought Lily an Asian American Girl Bitty Baby for Christmas, Pottery Barn Gingham Curtains for Jack’s room and a snowsuit for Emma. I’m currently selling a Cooshie Booster Seat, which is the best booster seat I’ve ever owned and will soon be listing all my girls’ Christmas dresses and coats from last year.

5 comments:

everything pink! said...

I love ebay and used to sell all the mardi gras beads we would catch when we lived in new orleans.
i used to go to garage sales buy stuff and sell it. my husband was in graduate school and that is how we bought groceries many a month.this was back in 1998.
i just made a bag and sold it on ebay last month to benefit breast cancer so yes i love ebay.
i found you off of angie's site.
i love your blog and love the quarter back costume!

jenny said...

I too enjoy ebay--but have never been a successful seller on it. I do have a friend who has a fabulous business on it and makes a TON of money doing it.

That is so great about your pay it forward. Too bad you weren't doing the Oprah challenge like my friend Mindy. I think its so wonderful you have adopted two more children--I am sure they feel so blessed as well :)

Lucy said...

You're good at ebay because you know how to sell it with the cute pages and the stuff people actually want to buy! I've always wanted to sell something on Ebay but my allergy to post offices keeps me away from it.

Good thing you found a way to outfit those cute girls without the guilt!

Carolyn said...

LOVE ebay, but I have to admit I don't even know how to bid. I tell Andrew what I want and he takes care of it (maybe it's part of his master plan to keep me from spending too much $$$!)

Anonymous said...

I used to love ebay. But I usually end up with stuff that I don't really need or want. I'm too compulsive.

cjanerun