I've spent the past month reading several books and then making big changes in my life. Here's what I've been up to:
One of the things I've really wanted to work on is food storage and economical ways to feed all my hungry mouths. I've never been able to figure this one out. About a month ago I was at the library with the kids and this book jumped out at me as I was walking past the shelf. It is called, "Beating the High Cost of Eating."
I've been trying to trim our food budget for years so I snatched this book right up and came home and read it. Here are the basics:
I've been trying to trim our food budget for years so I snatched this book right up and came home and read it. Here are the basics:1. Inventory your current food
2. Plan a menu based on what you already have in your pantry
3. Make a shopping list for what you need that week and decide on a food budget.
4. Use whatever is left over in your food budget to stock up on foods that are on sale at the stores.
This has been such a great solution for me. Every Wednesday the ads come in the newspaper and I peruse them trying to find the best deals on food that we use. It's become a fun hobby for me and I'm building our 3 month supply at the same time. I am guessing I've trimmed at least 40% off my food budget just by shopping the sales. Last week I went to Albertson's and spent $65.00 and saved $107.00. I used to hate and I mean HATE the grocery store. Now I love it and can't wait for my weekly grocery day. Dinner has also become a piece of cake. No more running to the store for a quick purchase at full price of something we need for dinner. It feels great to solve both my food storage problems and reduce what we spend on food.
Organization:
It's so hard to keep up with my active little family and all their stuff. Over the past couple of years I have trimmed our wardrobes down, gotten rid of toys, and come up with lots of great systems that keep me sane. But I've still been overwhelmed trying to keep up with everything. I also came across this book by accident, "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh.
I'd heard a lot about Peter and his Oprah appearances so I decided to check out this book. It was such a quick, easy read and the biggest epiphany I had from it was when he talked about the kitchen junk drawer and his theory is there should be NO junk drawer in the kitchen. Well, not only do I have a junk drawer but I have two BIG storage rooms in my basement that were overflowing with junk. I decided that we would have no junk rooms in our house and I spent all of last week cleaning out the rooms. I emotionally detached myself from everything that I've been holding onto and went through every momento, souvenir, holiday decoration, clothing, bedding, etc and trimmed everything to the nubs. I now have a room dedicated entirely to food storage and the other room I turned into our family craft room. One of the points he makes is that our stuff can prevent us from doing things we want to do. I believe this. Even though our storage rooms were closed off to the rest of the house I can't believe the difference in our home since cleaning them out. Another great point he makes is that we don't have to hang out to objects to keep a memory alive and this was great for me to realize. I had loads of stuff that I was hanging onto just because of the memories.
I'd heard a lot about Peter and his Oprah appearances so I decided to check out this book. It was such a quick, easy read and the biggest epiphany I had from it was when he talked about the kitchen junk drawer and his theory is there should be NO junk drawer in the kitchen. Well, not only do I have a junk drawer but I have two BIG storage rooms in my basement that were overflowing with junk. I decided that we would have no junk rooms in our house and I spent all of last week cleaning out the rooms. I emotionally detached myself from everything that I've been holding onto and went through every momento, souvenir, holiday decoration, clothing, bedding, etc and trimmed everything to the nubs. I now have a room dedicated entirely to food storage and the other room I turned into our family craft room. One of the points he makes is that our stuff can prevent us from doing things we want to do. I believe this. Even though our storage rooms were closed off to the rest of the house I can't believe the difference in our home since cleaning them out. Another great point he makes is that we don't have to hang out to objects to keep a memory alive and this was great for me to realize. I had loads of stuff that I was hanging onto just because of the memories.

+copy2.jpg)
17 comments:
Isn't it funny how Dave Ramsey is having an effect on every corner of our lives!
That's so interesting about how what we read is what will change us from year to year, that's comforting for me as a reader.
I recently bought "It's All Too Much" but haven't read it yet.
You motivated me to get rid of my kitchen junk drawer! Awesome post - thanks for the inspiration.
Thank you for this great post! It makes me want to start "D.I.-ing" again.
A couple months ago I heard Ramsey on the radio and remembered you'd left his book here last spring--I found it and have been eating it up. Thanks for passing it on to us. Hope I can actually implement it. I always have lofty goals, just until I find this and that perfect bargain at Costco! So, I want to know how you handle the TV/video thing at your house. We don't get ANY TV, but still have a hard time limiting videos. Any suggestions?
I love your interest in budgeting, simplifying, and organizing. I love those kinds of books too.
I'm reading a good one right now called "America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money: Your Guide to Living Better, Spending Less, and Cashing in on Your Dreams" by Steve and Annette Economides.
My new goal is also to plan meals around the foods that are on sale and what I have in my pantry. I'm going to add getting rid of the junk drawer as well. :) It's all about the baby steps.
I too am so excited about Food Storage! I went to the cannery and had a FABULOUS time. I am a nerd.
My family is living on a very tight budget right now. We've cut out so much and it still isn't enough. I think it's time to get serious about saving on food. I'm going to check out this book and see if it can help. Wish me luck :)
Hey Andrea, thanks so much for saying hi on my blog and letting me connect into yours. I totally need to read these books! I am so sick of having so many "things" and need to simplify. I can't believe you went to Israel with Josh. It is such a small world, especially in the blogging, Mormon world. I love it!
You know vegetarians eat the cheapest of all! I just had to throw that in. And I never, ever think about protein, combining protein, not combining, etc. It's never been a problem. Even if you just ate meatless one night a week, that's something.
I've been reading a book called "How much is enough?" It's about not over indulging, over nurturing & not raising kids who think they are entitled in every way. I thought I was doing a good job of not doing the things they mentioned, but as I read it , I realized I could use some help in some areas. It's made the whole Love & Logic thing easier to apply. Like not waking my boys up for school when they stayed up too late the night before, but letting the natural consequences take place. So hard to do, but they both have alarm clocks that went off. This was even on the middle school's late start day, so they didn't start school until 10am. Don't get me started on Weds. around here!
Andrea,
You started something at my house, and I don't know that you'll ever realize the full consequences! ;o)
We reorganized the pantry, (blogged about it: http://islandschoolhouse.com/?p=1145) and then because we had stolen containers from the toys shelf, decided that today was a good day to move that to its new location, and then because it was added to the walk in closet in my girls room, we had to organize that too...pulled out the summer clothes (for some odd reason, since it isn't even the slightest bit warm!) and now we're working on the storage room where the clothes came from........and on and on.
Its all your fault! ;o)
Sounds like great progress!!
I've been working on a new meal spending routine with menus and lists and fewer trips to the grocery store. Amazing how all these years I've thought convenience was to be had in drive thrus and packaged crap. And now I'm realizing that just isn't so.
I too am struggling with the food budget. It is SUPER hard for me. I will have to check out that book! Thanks for the pointers :)
So true, so true, so true!!!! I'm so glad you posted about this. Can't wait to get my hands on those books!!!
I've read one of Peter's books and it changed my perspective on what I keep. Something to the effect, if it's not displayed or used everyday - no sense keeping it. I've given out 25 bags of stuff and am still pulling things out of drawers and closets. It's amazing how much we kept. I am so happy that you doing well with this and I think I might pick up that food book - that's my next project - great stuff. Thanks foryour comments and inspiration!
I love this post Andrea! I totally agree with the concept of decluttering and paring down. Since moving I have a number of boxed I haven't even opened yet. Obviously I have a number of things I can live without!
i need both books PLUS dave ramsey's book. i love that you reviewed these and find them helpful. i am zooming over to the library website to reserve them...
thanks!
(loved seeing you on my blog today! yay!!!!!!)
you really seem to be someone who is always working to be a better person. i really admire that.
i enjoyed reading this post. i hope i feel motivated to follow your example
i was looking for your email today and could not find it. i have some spokane questions.
do you mind emailing me your email.
pinkeverythingpink@yahoo.com
thanks
Post a Comment