Saturday, September 15, 2007

Soccer Mom No More


For the past 6 years we have spent our saturdays in the fall and spring on the soccer field. This year the kids decided not to play and our Saturdays are free. I thought it would free us up to do more as a family but instead today Jason had a golf tournament that took up most of the day. If I sound a little bitter, I am. I can handle being busy and extra-curricular activities any other day of the week but for some reason, in my mind anyway, Saturdays are sacred. I find myself even getting annoyed when church events are scheduled on Saturday. Any day but Saturday would be better.

Now that we're not doing soccer Jonah is doing swim team. He wasn't real thrilled about doing it but I signed him up anyway. I had to put him on the advanced team because the beginners team met at a time he couldn't make it. He showed up the first day and the coach was a lifeguard at the YMCA. She knows me well because she is constantly yelling, "walk, walk, walk" at my kids. Luckily Jason dropped Jonah off so she didn't make the association between Jonah and me. He hated the first day because he was so far behind the other swimmers but by the second day he had made huge improvements. He loves the water and swam all summer so I think he will catch up quickly. He was so much happier the 2nd day of practice. I think he will end up loving it.

On Thursday night Jason took the boys to their first concert. It was Weird Al at the County Fair. It doesn't get any better than that. The boys happen to love Weird Al. It all started when Jason introduced them to the song, "Anakin Guy." At the time the boys were huge Star Wars fans and they loved the song. More recently they have loved watching his vidoes on YouTube. When I saw that Weird Al was coming I knew Jason had to take the boys. I volunteered to stay home with the kids. They had such a great time and we've been listening to Weird Al all weekend.

18 comments:

carlo said...

Wow, that is a long stretch to go cold turkey without soccer! Ellie is just in her 2nd session and she loves it.

Have fun with swimming. It seems to be such a "bonding" sport with the families from what I have seen here. My girls have no interest but who knows if that will change.
Keep us posted!

Oh and I agree with you on Saturdays. Saturdays are a day I love to have free but sadly, Scott works so many of them. I love the free ones though b/c it feels like there is such possibility, like we could do anything we wanted to do...

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

how funny we both wrote about soccer today! I remember me and my brother in high school just cracking up over Weird Al. Amazing that he's still going strong. I'll never forget him presenting at the grammys in Coolio cornrows. Oh, the many ways Weird Al has shaped my life. :)

Kelly said...

Full Saturdays are just no fair, that is sure. Now that Mike is Scout master and Wells, my babysitter, is the scout, my weekends are a real bummer.

Yea swim team! We are a passionate swim team family, except you think your Saturdays were packed back with soccer? Just wait until meets! Ack! That's ok though, a change is as good as a rest. I can't imagine that many years as a soccer mom.

Melissa said...

What a great dad to brave a weird Al concert! I remember hearing his music for the first time as a kid. George of the Jungle. Good times.

I feel the same way about Saturdays.

jenny said...

I consider Saturday's to be sacred as well. I applaud you for not doing soccer. I am sure it was a bitter sweet decision.

I am cracking up about Weird Al. I am not even sure my kids would know who he was. But I am sure they would LOVE anankin man. So funny.

Anne said...

Yeah Jonah! You know we LOVE swim team. I'm sorry to tell you Andrea, but swim meets often take up entire Saturdays and most teams expect parents to volunteer for at least 1/2 the meet...which can sometimes mean 4 hours on your feet with a stop watch! But, knowing Jonah's disposition, he'll soon never want to quit! (BTW, swim camp at BYU was a HUGE hit with Micaela this summer...REALLY fun! If you want to do it, start looking into it in January, the camps fill up fast!)

Anne said...

Yeah Jonah! You know we LOVE swim team. I'm sorry to tell you Andrea, but swim meets often take up entire Saturdays and most teams expect parents to volunteer for at least 1/2 the meet...which can sometimes mean 4 hours on your feet with a stop watch! But, knowing Jonah's disposition, he'll soon never want to quit! (BTW, swim camp at BYU was a HUGE hit with Micaela this summer...REALLY fun! If you want to do it, start looking into it in January, the camps fill up fast!)

KariAnn said...

I'm so excited for our fall with no soccer. Good for you, you are free! I also think it's great you encouraged Jonah to do swim team even though he hated the first day. Alot of parents would have let him quit. He didn't, and now he'll do great and will have learned a great lesson.

KariAnn said...

By the way, I definitely agree about Saturdays being sacred!!!!!

Kristi said...

My ex-husband signed up both Jason and Jackie for soccer this year. He didn't realize what kind of time commitment it is (even though I warned him) lol. The kids practices are on the same day at different schools, close to the same time, and on the days he has the kids, poor guy.

Kristin said...

You know how I feel about soccer...let the kids ski!! Water in the summer and snow in the winter...who needs soccer! ;)

Lara said...

Not doing soccer?! What will you do with yourself?

I missed my husband on Saturday too! He went from golfing to a bishopric meeting to Priesthood leadership to Evening Regional Conference and then came home and watched the BYU game - he might as well have been out of town.

Chad's new soccer team doesn't even know I have a husband. So far all the moms AND dads have come to every practice and to the games. Chris will probably never be to any.

Sounds fun that Jonah is developing a new talent. I didn't know swim teams existed in Spokane.

Can't wait for a "normal" Sunday next week. Will you be in our ward or visiting another?

Lucy said...

It was hard for me to have just one soccer game to plan our entire saturday around. I can't imagine trying to do it with 3 or 4 or five. I think you are being smart. Although I miss seeing that enthusiastic Seth running around, I think it's more important to have that day free to make family memories and spend time doing things together that aren't possible on Sunday.

Laughing about YMCA lifeguard though. It isn't fanny pack lady, is it?

Rebecca said...

We are still doing soccer. I almost took your lead and said goodbye to soccer this year, but at the last minute the kids took a renewed interest. Some of the kids from Asa's team last year are in his class this year and got him excited about the new season, and Hannah saw some pink soccer balls somewhere. Darn peer pressure and pink soccer balls!!!!!

carlo said...

hope your week was a productive one!

i do love the pic on this post. it has made me smile whenever i pop in

[alisar] said...

We're not doing soccer this year either (though we've only been involved for three years with one kid). It feels so good to have Saturdays free!

Michelle Alley said...

Saturdays I can relate. I'm glad you have more time, but it that golf tournament did get in the way of having the perfect saturday I'm sure. So great about the weird al concert - I used to love him, but haven't heard much from him lately.

Kelly said...

Talking Kristin out of the family dance then getting sucked into it yourself is classic. Gluttons for punnishment, when will we learn?

cjanerun