Thursday, July 05, 2007

Book Review #7--Bel Canto


Set in an undisclosed South American Country, Bel Canto is the story of a group of powerful politicians and executives from around the globe who are held hostage by a group of political rebels. From the description it didn't sound like my cup of tea. But the story goes much deeper. The story centers around Opera Singer Roxanne Coss who was the guest of honor at an event held at the Vice President's home. She is the sole reason many were in attendance that night. Her singing is magical and provides a way for the hostages to cope with their captivity. Her music also provides a way for the rebels to reflect on the unfortunate situation they have created for themselves. Hostages and captors unite as one group so moved by Roxanne's music that reality is clouded for all. Ultimately this is a beautiful and tragic love story that left me shocked by the ending.


This book is beautifully written. I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I love this book. In fact just the other day I was at the book store and saw a lady reading the back. I had to be the annoying stranger that butts in to tell her opinion. Good book choice!

Bridget said...

I too loved this book. It was so different than I expected.

Lucy said...

I think I have read it but I obviously need to re-read it because I don't remember any of the details. Maybe I just really wanted to and never did. Sigh. That is another perk of actually writing out the reviews. I have proof!

Jill said...

This is one of my all-time favorite books, it was a pure joy.

cjanerun