Wednesday, January 07, 2015

A Day to Remember

Monday, January 5, loomed large in our minds. We spend a lot of our Christmas break preparing for this day. I love New Year's and the way it motivates me to improve in so many areas. As a a seminary teacher, and as the kids get older, Christmas break is such a great time to rest and relax and refresh. We felt so refreshed and spent the last few days of Christmas break doing what we love most, spending time with friends and family and skiing. 

By Sunday we were prepared--seminary was ready to go, lunches were made, clothes were laid out. It was going to be a big day because we were shaking things up and jack was starting a new school.  Jason and I were both up early on Monday morning. I was off to seminary and he was off to play basketball. Just as I was saying goodbye to the other seminary students and teachers my phone rang. It was Jason letting me know that he had hurt his Achilles Tendon and it was bad. Jonah and I were both ticked because we know this means more work for us. But after jason and I got all the kids off to school we evaluated our lives and realized we have so much to be grateful for. Sure this is a pain and inconvenience and jason will miss out on so any of the things we love to do as a family but there are so any things to be grateful for. We are so blessed with good friends who came to our house on Monday night to check on Jason and give him a blessing for wisdom and a good and full recovery. 
We are grateful that we happen to be friends with a great podiatrist who is going to squeeze us in for surgery if we need it, on his lunch hour and who came to our house and checked out Jason' on his way home from work. 
The great irony of all of this is that exactly a year ago Jason injured his back and needed surgery which caused him to miss the entire ski season. Around the same time I injured my knee and was unable to ski for the rest of the season. This year it's been so great to ski a few times together as a family--better than nothing. 

Life definitely doesn't always go the way we plan. It's a good reminder that we aren't in control and we need to be flexible and reliant on the lord to get through life's challenges. 

No comments:

cjanerun