Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Day My Oldest and Youngest Learned To Drive

Last month Eli turned 15 and we promptly signed him up for driver's ed so that he can drive and practice and be so ready for his liscense the day he turns 16. I can't wait to have an extra driver right when I'm going to be needing it as the younger kids get older and more involved in activities.

Yesterday we headed out to the Department of Liscensing and got him all signed up and he walked out with his permit. When we got close to home I let him drive and he did great. We were both totally calm and he made it home without a problem. I was so proud of him and I think he'll be a pro by the time next year rolls around.

Ironically, earlier in the day I was out with Jack. We stopped by a friend's house so I could pick up a list of names I needed for thank you notes for our recent school fundraising auction. I had to go in really quick and grab the list. After a few minutes Jack came in the house. I was ready to go and walked out the door and my car was GONE. I walked out to the driveway and the car was against a fence across the street. Jack had somehow put the car in reverse and coasted out the driveway, across the street, over a curb and into a fence. Luckily there was no damage to the car or fence and even luckier that Jack was not hurt.

I couldn't get too mad because when I was just a bit older than Jack I backed my parent's car out of the driveway with the door open. It went from my driveway across the street to the neighbors drive way. The open door got caught on a bush and it damaged the door so it wouldn't close. Sorry mom and dad.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

congratulations eli. have fun jason and andrea!

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

How exciting!! you are going to LOVE having that extra driver. I mean Eli. Go ahead and keep the keys far away from Jack! :)

Valynn said...

I can't believe you are so calm about Jack's mishap...I would have freaked out a bit. :) He is a lucky guy!

Kristin said...

I can't believe that you are so calm period. Another driver in the house does sound nice but I am terrified of Reilly one day driving!! I'm sure Eli is thrilled though.

And as for Jack...SCARY!! Like mother like son huh? I'm sure little Andrea was a force to be reckoned with...nothing stood in her way! :)

Kristin said...

Oh yeah-- Your header is fabulous!!

Amy said...

AHHHHHHHH! I can't believe Eli already has his permit! I remember when the car rolled... Good old yellow Ford Granada. Thank goodness the door was open and was stopped by the bush in their front yard.

Oh Jack! Always an adventure with that cute boy!!!

Reuel and Ana said...

you know l had to think for a minute when that happen. you and dear marsha. l just picture you and Eli being calm. that is quite and image. way to go Eli your grandfather Jones told me when I was 15 1/2 that if l got a ticket l would not get my licence. l got my permit at 3:30 and by 4:30 l had a ticket. luckly it was a fix it ticket so l was able to get my licence.
love
anandad

cjanerun