Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

The Good

Jason's mom, who truly is the best, took Lily all morning for a special date at Grandma's. Jack had school starting at 9:15 so I had the whole day to myself. I spent all day cleaning, doing laundry and trying to recover from my routines being thrown off with no school on Monday. I got so much done and feel back on track. I was feeling just a bit down in the dumps. Must be the mid-february slump.

The Bad
All the kids missed the bus this morning. It was so foggy that we couldn't see the stop and today was late start and I'm never quite sure what time the bus comes on these days. It didn't help that we didn't make lunches last night, had to dig through laundry for clean underwear, sign last minute forms, pack backpacks, etc. None of that got done because I sent everyone to bed, (including myself), last night after one of the children spilled a 12 ounce glass of chocolate milk, with lots of extra syrup I might add, all over the living room floor. It was so chocolatey and dark and left the BIGGEST brown stain. (By the way, we never drink chocolate milk but someone found some Hershey's syrup in the fridge and thought it would be fun to make and of course they were supposed to be brushing teeth and snuggling into bed at the time).

The Ugly
That would be me losing my temper over the chocolate milk spill. By bedtime I had completely lost all patience, and believe me I had been exercising it all day. Of course after the little children were snugly tucked in their beds, adorable as could be, I had such regret for what I had done. Today was better. Thank goodness for forgiving children and the chance to do better.

7 comments:

Kristin said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your children were sent to bed unharmed after the chocolate milk stain...I say you showed great restraint!! ;)

Sometimes early bed is a good thing...on Monday (the day of no school)Reilly was sent to bed at 3:30pm and I can say the whole family was better for it. Even her.

Good luck with the stain.

Jessica said...

oh yes, the mid-february slump. What is up with that? Every time the sun peeks through, I feel giddy. I keep asking myself why I'm so affected by the weather.
When my children are asleep, that is when I can clearly remember how I parented that day whether good or bad. Aren't they sweet when they sleep?
p.s. I think you are a great mom.

Lara said...

Even though February is supposed to be a "short" month it always seems like the longest to me!!!!

Doesn't every day have the good the bad and the ugly?!

Hope your floor recovers.

We have early bedtime too when my patience is exhausted.

Heather said...

Aren't we lucky that children always give unconditional love?! What blessings they are to us!

Sometimes we just need a little downtime for ourselves. However, we don't always take it for feeling guilty. Hope you have a stress free weekend.

Lucy said...

Oh, those late start mornings were the death of me! We have early release here, on Fridays, and it helps.

I have thrown my fair share of tantrums over chocolate milk. You described a familiar situation for moms and I'm sure come March, we'll all be a little brighter, a little better.

I do love it when you post:)

Betina said...

Every kids needs to see a little ugly from time to time. Keeps them on their toes.

Carolyn said...

It makes me feel so much better to know other people have days like this. I'm sooo ready for spring!

cjanerun