
As a parent I am constantly messing up and I am a firm believer that if I can humble myself and apologize to my kids it will hopefully make a difference. This morning a big apology was in order. Jonah is a great kid. He is easygoing, conscientious and basically a huge blessing and help to our family. This morning he had a 7:30 am piano lesson. He was up, showered and ready to go, as he always is. We rushed out the door and headed down the road when he realized he forgot his piano books. Instead of laughing with him and turning the car around I proceeded to overreact and lecture him on the benefits of being prepared and not being distracted as he leaves the house. We turned around and got the books and headed back to piano, now arriving 10 minutes late. I usually do a portion of my grocery shopping while he and Eli are in their lessons. I drove all the way to the store and grabbed my list, ready to power shop. Imagine my shock when I realized I didn't have my purse. It was sitting on the counter where I had left it the night before. I felt terrible that I gave Jonah such a hard time when I had unknowingly made the same mistake. I went back and got Jonah and apologized to him for overreacting to him earlier.

+copy2.jpg)
6 comments:
Way to be humble Andrea. I often react before I think about what I am saying too. It is something that I need to work on. Jonah is a great kid! That is a great picture of him too!
Andrea
some of the best words are I am sorry. when we show we have been wrong our children respect us more. as do anyone who we love
love
anandad
Jonah great picture
love
grandpa jones
I do it all the time, and usually with the oldest who carries half my load and helps so much. Such a schlep I am. Is that a word?
Man, you have to love instant karma first thing in the morning!
Way to be a great example!
Also loved the diaper story. I so remember Lily's sealing day! It is so hard to believe that was so long ago now.
What a great lesson for Jonah! And all of us...These are things that make great parents.
Post a Comment