I have always loved Christmas stories. I have great childhood memories of watching and loving Mr. Krugers Christmas and reading O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi." I also loved advent calendars and getting a little piece of chocolate every night. I've tried that tradition with my kids but the chocolate never lasts until Christmas. My favorite tradition has elements of both. Years ago, when Eli and Jonah were both little I read about an idea to wrap 25 Christmas books and then open one each day counting down to Christmas. They still love this tradition. We are on day two and to be perfectly honest the books aren't wrapped yet (but they will be). But we are still reading. Last night's selection was, "A Christmas Dress For Ellen." I love this story and was reduced to a puddle of tears as I read it with the children. All was silent as they listened to a beautiful story of service and more importantly hope. Tonight's selection was "Light of Christmas" by Richard Paul Evans which moves me as well. I'm realizing that we have finally moved into the phase where we can get rid of some of our little toddler Christmas books. I need a few new titles. What are your favorite Christmas books?

+copy2.jpg)
6 comments:
The Life of Our Lord, by Charles Dickens is one we read. Its not 100% percent accurate, but its sweet!
I'm going to posting the advent stories that my MIL put together for me, thank for reminding me!
Michelle Alley also posted a link so some advent stories online. Have fun! A really wonderful Christmas FHE was posted at: http://chocolateonmycranium.blogspot.com/
Enjoy!
Wow. Your Thanksgiving looked great! You even had the missionaries over. Blessings to you.
We love to visit the Nativity dispay each year. I will make sure my kids play with your hand stitched art piece. But I won't let them chew on it, don't worry.
P.S. Please post the books as you read them! I'd love to hear your list!!
We had a similar tradition growing up, and some of my favorite were:
Birds' Christmas Carol (can't remember the author right now)
A Child's Christmas in Wales - Dylan Thomas
Father Christmas Letters (J.R.R. Tolkein - a personal favorite)
This is a tradition that I am so glad you shared with me a few years ago. My kids...and I...absolutely love it.
You will have to post your stories as you read them...I need some new ideas.
Some of our favorite stories are:
The Animals Christmas Eve...a little Golden Book
A Tale of Three Trees...good for Christmas or Easter
The Nutcracker Suite...we are a ballet family of course.
The Little Match Girl
Happy Reading!!
this is such a cute idea. I would love to see your list of books. My favorites by far is The Giving Tree, Christmas Oranges, & The Polar Express
Post a Comment