Monday, February 04, 2008

Snowed In!





A week ago Saturday we went skiing and halfway through the day it started snowing. Within a few hours it had probably snowed six inches. We left and were surprised at how much snow was in town when we arrived home. Sunday morning we woke up and it was still snowing, big beautiful flakes.
Before we knew it we received a phone call that church had been cancelled. We spent the day digging out and playing in the snow. Then we went to Jason's parents and helped dig them out. It was such a great family day.

Monday brought more snow and NO SCHOOL! I let the three oldest kids invite friends over and spent the day keeping everyone fed. I volunteered to do all the driving since some of the parents didn't have good snow tires. It took me over an hour both ways to pick everyone up and drop them off because the roads were so bad. It was around 5 pm when I was driving everyone home and the light on the snow was just gorgeous. Where we live it is dark by 4:30 pm. I always look forward to December 21st because I know from that day forward we will gain a bit of light each day. I couldn't believe that it was 5:00 pm and still light. All the trees looked like big, shimmery marshamallows. I wish I would have had my camera with me.

Tuesday we ventured downtown to the Children's Museum. We just had to get out. We spent a good chunk of the day and had lunch as well. When we got home I couldn't get up our dirt road because the drifts were so bad. Luckily a nice neighbor plowed our road for us and within 30 minutes the county plow had showed up.

By Wednesday the snow days were getting old. Again we ventured out, this time to Chuck E. Cheese. We usually only go for a birthday a couple of times a year. Lily said it was the best day of her life. That night they announced that Thursday would be another snow day. By then I expected it. We were hit with another big storm Wednesday night and woke up to big drifts on our beautifully plowed road Thursday Morning. I braved piano lessons and Costco and was relieved to find that the roads were great once we got on the main streets.

Our family motto is to Embrace the Lake. This means that even if the water is cold we jump in and ski anyway. We have now expanded it to "Embrace the Snow." I have to admit that I loved all this white, fluffy stuff. It was so pretty and so fun to play in and it made for some great skiing. We had already planned to ski on Friday since it was a day off school due to semester break. We headed up to the mountains and had a great time skiing with friends on Friday.

I learned a valuable lesson last week. I used to pride myself on being spontaneous but with each kids I've become a little more scheduled. Now I rely on routine to keep us all sane. Last week I felt like we were floundering each day. The week would have been so much better if we would have known, even a few days in advance, that we would have an entire week off of school. Life is so much better when i take a few minutes each Sunday night to plan our week. I wonder how much of my life I have spent feeling out of sorts due to poor planning.

This morning the kids went back to school and I'm feeling back on track. Hooray for routines!

13 comments:

Kelly said...

I hear ya!

The first picture is beautiful, I was a little jealous, 78 degrees and muggy here. Then as I kept reading and another snow day, another!!! My heart started racing. So glad they are all back in school. The snow days are exciting and routine is necessary.

Congrats on a real Monday morning!

Lucy said...

Oh, these pictures do my heart some good. It's so nice seeing that view once more. But, heavens, that is a lot of snow!

Thanks for posting about your days. I love it.

Carolyn said...

Hip Hip Hooray for a SCHOOL day! It's great to have the kids home, but when you're not expecting it, it's a little more difficult.

Missed you today volunteering - can't wait until next Monday.

carlo said...

i sure wish you lived in my neighborhood!

:)


on the strange side, we have a 62 degree forecast for tomorrow. what in the world?

Lara said...

Your pictures make it seem almost worth it. I do love snow - from inside my house sitting by the fire and drinking hot chocolate.

We had fun too but was so glad the kids went back to school today.

Hope you had fun at the YMCA with the little kids.

Jill said...

Your snowy pictures are so beautiful.

I love routine too and though I'm good with little breaks here and there, I still prefer the time schedule of the school week, so I know what you mean.

You are a rock star mom to be willing to drive to pick up and drop off the kids' friends like that. I would have wanted to stay home and be snowed in.

We NEVER get snow days in Utah!

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

I was wondering how you were doing up there on the mountain. Glad you were able to get out and keep your sanity. We enjoyed the fresh powder on the slopes too!

Kristin said...

OK you have a much better attitude than me!! I was going CRAZY!! I don't mind the days off of school it is driving on the horrific streets that had me at my wits end. I cannot believe you invited kids over...picked and dropped them off...went downtown...to Chuck E. Cheese...Costco?? You are either mother of the year or completely insane!! ;) I'm guessing more like mother of the year. I hunkered down and tried to leave my house as little as possible...hence my depression!!

patsy said...

Wow Andrea- what a great mom with a fabulous attitude. I would be mad crazy by the end of the week. Something about unscheduled time really throws me.

We have lived in Ut for 11 years now & have NEVER had even one snow day- no matter what there is school. I heard there has to be 4 ft of snow or -40 to get a snow day. I don't want one if that's the case.
I am glad you had such quality family time. This year will be a year to remember for the whole family.

[alisar] said...

Hooray for routines! I second that thought. I am a creature of habit - Monday=laundry, Tuesday=library, Wednesday=vacuum, etc.
Snow days would throw me completely off. The bright side is that you got some breathtaking photos for your scrapbook.

jenny said...

I completely understand your pain with the snow days. Remember our 3 days of "ice no school" last year? It was great the first few and then it just got old!

I can't believe how much snow the west is getting. Crazy!

Rebecca said...

I was trapped in my house with the kids and their friends all week. Devin took the van to work and I was stuck with the little car. I didn't dare drive it. Oooh, blessed, blessed school!

Mrs4444 said...

Gotta love routine...it's so ROUTINE, but the kids sure thrive in it.

Your blog is beautiful; wow. You are rich, that's for certain (rich with love, of course, Silly!)

cjanerun