Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Book Review #14 Life Of Pi


My bookgroup read this book a while back but it just didn't sound interesting to me. I had heard great things about it but the thought of reading a book about a boy stranded at sea with a tiger didn't appeal to me. So I skipped it for bookgroup, but now that I'm dedicated to reading all the books on my shelf that are unread I picked it up again at the end of the summer.


I am a very fast reader but this book took me almost three weeks to read. It was as tedious as I expected although I must admit the author did a fabulous job of conveying what it would be like to spend day after day at sea. Tedious as it was, I was determined to finish and I'm so glad I did. The last third of the book suddenly grabbed me and I was hooked. I found the part on the island with the meerkats fascinating and rich with symbolism.


When I finished reading the book I wanted to talk about it. Jason had read it a couple of years ago and enjoyed it so he indulged me with a little discussion. I then spent a couple of hours surfing the net reading what others have written about this book. To me, a book that leaves the reader searching for answers long after the last page is turned is brilliant writing, even if it takes this reader time to get through it.

7 comments:

Betina said...

Wierd, I LOVED this book. I read it a while ago, though.

I am excited to see Marcos, I love him already. Maybe we should get together and plan a party for him.

Jill said...

I loved this book when I read it several years ago for book club, and was surprised because it doesn't seem like something I would normally like. I found the idea super clever, the situation crazy but interesting, and the ending mind blowing. It was great!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I really enjoyed this book. It's one that has stuck with me a loooong time and couldn't wait to discuss it when I'd read it. Our whole family read it and what a great discussion(s) it provided.

Misty said...

I've avoided this book, but maybe I'll have to try it! btw, there's a sneak peak of your family pictures on my blog.

Lucy said...

Totally hard to get into but it has stayed with me for years. Not the exact details, because I read it before the days of writing my book reviews which helps me SO much to remember them, but I do remember being hurt and troubled by the end, when no one believed him. It still bothers me when I discuss it with people and it's just accepted that he invented the story to cope with his loss. I disagree. I think it's us adults who can't cope with anything extraordinary.

Amy said...

What I want to know is how do you find the time to read these books, let alone do the book reviews? :)

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Ok, I'm glad I finally read something you did. Did he really have a tiger on board or was that just a cover for the bad guy being with him. And what did the island all mean? I didn't get how that fit into the story? And I'll never forget his amazing essay on zoos! That has totally changed my perception on animals in captivity. I'd love to talk to you about all this, but I'm leaving town this weekend. Boo hoo, I'll miss you Saturday.

cjanerun