I have a little handheld hymn book that my roommate gave to me 16 years ago when I left for a study abroad program in Israel. I carried that little book with me to many holy places such as Shepherd's Field in Bethlehem, the sea of Galilee, the garden tomb, the Garden of Gethsemane and Mt. Sinai, just to name a few. At each site we would sing a hymn as a group and I would write next to the hymn where I was when I sang it. Those songs are etched in my mind and I am often taken back to that moment in time whenever I hear or sing the songs.
Last week at BYU women's conference I marked another song in my hymn book. From now on whenever I sing "Now Let Us Rejoice" I will be transported back to the Marriott Center packed with women who were united in purpose and in spirit. Singing this song was unlike any other experience I've had singing with a group. We were led by Merilee Webb who had such passion that it was impossible not to catch her enthusiasm. She taught us how valuable we are as individual women and then we sang through the song once. She told us we could do better and when we sang through the song again it was such an improvement over the first time. I think we all had tears in our eyes. I felt strength as a woman and a follower of Christ.
I went with three of my friends and I am glad I get to be influenced by them in my daily life. We had so many great talks and I cam home with such gratitude that I am raising my kids with these women. I loved being back in Provo surrounded by mountains and walking the BYU campus. Highlights included visits to the creamery, the book store, staying in the dorms and eating at Los Hermanos. The best thing about our trip was access to our friend Stephanie's handicap placard for our rental car. On Friday we attended our last class in the Smith Field house and were able to park right outside the door in the handicap spot.
Other, more serious highlights included so many realizations about my life. From simple things like improving our Family Home Evenings and scripture study to more fully devoting myself in my roles as wife and mother. I am so glad I've reached a point where it's easy for me in so many ways to have a quick getaway and recharge my batteries. After two years in a row I can say I've established a new tradition.

+copy2.jpg)
4 comments:
Sounds wonderful!
Informational tidbit: That hymnbook is still in existance today. Emma currently uses it.
Sounds so motivational and rejuvinating. Lookin' forward to 2010!
You are so cool Andrea. I always learn how to live better when I visit your blog!
Post a Comment