Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day

For some reason St. Patrick's Day is one of my favorite holidays. There is low expectation from the kids and no buildup. It just kind of sneaks up on us and gives us a good excuse for a treasure hunt. It all goes back to when I was in 1st grade. The lepruchauns visited our classroom during the night and left clues for a treasure. We followed the clues and ended up at an icecream parlor where we each got an ice cream cone. It is a memory that stands out to me and so I want to recreate that moment for my kids. We do a simple treasure hunt every year. The beauty of it is all the work of creating these moments for our family has now been taken over by Eli and Jonah. They got the little kids excited and helped them make a trap for the lepruchauns. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Lily was so disappointed we didn't catch the little guy. But they left us clues and a fun treasure at the end. The kids also enjoyed waking up to green toilets and a green smoothie for breakfast. A simple, fun morning.

8 comments:

Lara said...

Way to start the day! Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Lucy said...

Yeah...I so don't remember to do any of that stuff. I am putting green food coloring in the boys' milk tonight and I bought some green stuffed Oreos. Call me fun mom.

I love it when you post (hint, hint:)

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

That leprachan trap is so cute!! I wish I'd done that. We did green eggs and ham, but Jason had just puked the night before so wasn't as appetizing as usual! :)

Reuel and Ana said...

iam glad it was a school mem because I could barely remember wareing green to work.
love
anandad

andrea said...

The reason we celebrate St. Patrick's day is he supposedly drove all the snakes out of Ireland in the 6th century. Why we wear green is it represents the catholics in ireland. The orange stripe on the flag is the Protestants and the white stripe between is to show peace between the two (though that is not always the case). The reason we pinch those not wearing green (originally it was just orange-wearers that were pinched)is that it is a small symbol of the ongoing conflict between the two.

Your son who would excel in Jepordy,

Eli

Amy said...

You are such a great Mom. You always do such creative things for the kids. They will have many good memories thanks to you and Jason.

Jessica said...

Great ideas! You ARE a good mom. The only reason we had green water, green eggs and ham, and green cupcakes is because Owen talked about how we were going to celebrate St. Patrick's Day the whole week before. I didn't want to disappoint the little guy. If not for him, there might have only been a few pinches :-) I love your memory of 1st grade.

MikeandChristie said...

Andrea you are the best mom ever! I told mike I wanted to be like you when we were looking at your blog! I'm proud to have you as my aunt.

cjanerun